French war-ship Saint-Philippe 1693 - scale 1/72 - from Lemineur monograph

nice work again. Can you tell us more about what kind of method you use to bend the planks in form and how you measure them out?
Hi Steef,

First, I pass the strike under the cold water tap, then, with the round handle of a wooden spoon, I curve it on a thermostatic electric plate, hot enough to turn the water into steam, but not enough to burn the wood. I repeat several times if necessary :

Water A.jpg

For thick pieces, like rails, I saw them in two half thickness, that avoid to broke, and I glue the two parts for reconstitute my curved piece

After bending the divided strike, the difference between out curve part and in part of the main rail of the St Philippe was around 5 mm...

To thin or adjust the different planks, I pass the edges with a Proxxon cutter by hand, I usually do it like this, and it’s quite simple to do :)

Best regards,

Christian

An electric plate. Well done. So you see everybody have its own way in planking. The proxxon I use to, but with flex shaft, more control.

Thanks for sharing :)

I heat the planks with the steam pipe of my espresso machine

I use this one now, and must say works perfect. Light in the hand, accurate and strong. And most important, no heavy noise. I can still hear the mice on the ceiling running. :)
Only 2 kinds of chucks 2.35 and 3.175 in mine configuration with the extra's. 3.0 is also possible.
but that is okay when you use only cutters in the machine. Dremel is 3.175 standard and 2.35 is standard dental.

I use this one now, and must say works perfect. Light in the hand, accurate and strong. And most important, no heavy noise. I can still hear the mice on the ceiling running. :)
Only 2 kinds of chucks 2.35 and 3.175 in mine configuration with the extra's. 3.0 is also possible.
but that is okay when you use only cutters in the machine. Dremel is 3.175 standard and 2.35 is standard dental.
I have a similar machine, thought the handpiece is identical to yours. As per your recommendation, I ordered a set of spare collets to fit all possible burs. It does work great, I wish it could be a bit faster, but I have not had any issues with the current speed yet.

Notice that the squarred yard will continue to be used, that is
an important detail, it defines vertical and horizontal reference
Hello CRI-CRI, I believe the translator screw up again, not sure I understand the 'squared yard', and it's an important purpose. Can you elaborate, please?

Back