Fresh from the Netherlands

Good day, y'all,
New to this forum, from the Netherlands.
My name is Johan and I retired November last year.
So with free time to spare, I started to rebuild a Billing Boats Bluenose scooner my father build about 40 years ago.
I stumbled upon this website in the search for tips and tricks and in the meantime I am very much interested in starting a POF model of mentioned Bluenose.
This website is a treasure trove for newbies such as me.

Some more info about me; I noticed I was a little short in my introduction, but there's more to tell:
About some forty years ago I build both the Billing Boats Lilla Dan and the Artesina Latina Scottish Maid, so yes, I have some building experience, but that's so shrouded in the mist of history that I consider myself a rookie.

I live in the Netherlands, in a small town called Loosdrecht, married, two kids with better halves and one granddaughter.

My whole carrier was spend in the aviation industry, mainly as design engineer and design build team lead.
I frequently found myself abroad, with a prolonged stay in the States having a significant impact our family life, both in the negative as in the positive sense.
While in the United States, I found the opportunity to obtain my Private Pilot License and enjoyed the freedom of flight immensely. Back in the Netherlands I wasn't able to stay current; too many things to focus on.

Skating was a favorite pastime, but this year I had to admit defeat; no more skating, too anxious to trip and fall, with possible severe injuries, so no more.
What's left is modeling, bicycling and music as the main pastime activities. As far as music goes, I'm an amateur organist and every once and a while I accompany the local congregation with their hymn singing.
I prefer classical music, especially from the baroque- and romantic era , but I also like to listen to more contemporary music.

Johan

Last edited:
Hello Johan. Baie welkom op SOS en veel bouwplezier met de restouratie van jouw Bluenose.

Ik ben de moderator vir die YQ Bluenose Groepsbouw; zo as jij belangstel in een bouwdoos van de POF Bluenose, stuur mij een PM. Ik hanteer de verkope daarvan.

Vriendelijke groete - Heinrich

Hello Johan nice to meet you, welcome aboard the SOS. Surely as you expected you will find tips and tricks from very experienced and helpfull people , as I have readed, you will find an Australian Gentleman Mallacoota who is starting his project of the Bluenose and you will find you have come to anchor in safe port . Enjoy your retirament
Hugo

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the manual. It is appreciated.
I also found a manual for the BB567 Bluenose scooner and some drawings for the model.
What I had to discover the hard way though was, that over the years, Billing Boats updates their kits.
So I found the manual, thought I was home scott free, error 1, dismantled the model, without making pictures, error 2, assuming, error 3, I would enter an easy repair phase for this Bluenose model.
The most severe error I made was that I entered this project without properly looking for information and checking the correctness of the information I had.
When looking around on this website, I'm impressed by the professionalism most members express in their builds. This is a great source of inspiration for me.
I also found your build log of your Bluenose POF model; I'm severely impressed!

Again thanks for your help!

Kind regards, Johan

Hello Johan. Baie welkom op SOS en veel bouwplezier met de restouratie van jouw Bluenose.

Ik ben de moderator vir die YQ Bluenose Groepsbouw; zo as jij belangstel in een bouwdoos van de POF Bluenose, stuur mij een PM. Ik hanteer de verkope daarvan.

Vriendelijke groete - Heinrich
Dankjewel Heinrich,

Ik heb op dit moment nog een paar andere projectjes die ik af wil maken , voordat ik me op deze nieuwe uitdaging werp.
Tzt neem ik zeker contact hierover met je op.

Met hartelijke groet, Johan

Hello Johan nice to meet you, welcome aboard the SOS. Surely as you expected you will find tips and tricks from very experienced and helpfull people , as I have readed, you will find an Australian Gentleman Mallacoota who is starting his project of the Bluenose and you will find you have come to anchor in safe port . Enjoy your retirament
Hugo

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the manual. It is appreciated.
I also found a manual for the BB567 Bluenose scooner and some drawings for the model.
What I had to discover the hard way though was, that over the years, Billing Boats updates their kits.
So I found the manual, thought I was home scott free, error 1, dismantled the model, without making pictures, error 2, assuming, error 3, I would enter an easy repair phase for this Bluenose model.
The most severe error I made was that I entered this project without properly looking for information and checking the correctness of the information I had.
When looking around on this website, I'm impressed by the professionalism most members express in their builds. This is a great source of inspiration for me.
I also found your build log of your Bluenose POF model; I'm severely impressed!

Again thanks for your help!

Kind regards, Johan
Hallo Johan,
I did not know that BB has different kits. Hopefully all the information together will help you.
Nice you found my build-log. But I am building a little ‘out-off-the-box’, not representive for a common build of the YQ pof build.
Gr. Peter

Yeah, I noted you're "slightly" deviating from the proposed build process...
Nevertheless, it is a) very entertaining and b) there's a lot to learn from the thorough way you're undertaking your build.
Once I finish my current Bluenose project and two other non-related projects, I'm considering to start a YQ POF build. Still having cold feet though...

Good day, y'all,
New to this forum, from the Netherlands.
My name is Johan and I retired November last year.
So with free time to spare, I started to rebuild a Billing Boats Bluenose scooner my father build about 40 years ago.
I stumbled upon this website in the search for tips and tricks and in the meantime I am very much interested in starting a POF model of mentioned Bluenose.
This website is a treasure trove for newbies such as me.
Johan
Welcome to our forum Johan,
I love the way you described all the information you can find here.
You are so correct...it is a true treasure trove.Ship of Scale guys.jpg

Back