Friech Boeir Yacht "SPERWER" by Kortes -1:30 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Beautiful :) I agree with Jim, they are awesome but, I'm only guessing, are they to protect the boat's sides when hauling in anchors, nets etc? I see there is also one on Andy's St Gabriel. Seems a dutch thing :) I'm wondering...anything to do with leeway? I'm thinking these shallow draft, broad beamed craft would be like a 'woodchip in a stream'?

Ron

Last edited:
Beautiful :) I agree with Jim, they are awesome but, I'm only guessing, are they to protect the boat's sides when hauling in anchors, nets etc? I see there is also one on Andy's St Gabriel. Seems a dutch thing :) I'm wondering...anything to do with leeway? I'm thinking these shallow draft, broad beamed craft would be like a 'woodchip in a stream'?

Ron

Ron these are Lee Boards, they are designed to stop shallow hulled boats "slipping" sideways in cross winds. First used by the Chinese, Dutch boatbuilders then used them on Inshore Flat Bottomed boats. The St. Gabriel is built to a Dutch boat design, Flat Bottomed to enable it to sail in shallow waters, you will also find them on Thames Bargies that were designed to sail in the shallow Thames Estuary and River Medway, where they were sailed onto mud flats at High Tide and then unloaded when the Tide went out.

Kortes, the metal trim certainly makes the Lee Boards look really good,

Cheers Andy

Thank you very much, my honorable colleagues for such a high evaluation of my work.
Jim, Zwaardkop, in this case, these are black wooden plates for the upper part of Zwaard.

Cheers , I'm very grateful for your help and such an interesting historical note.
I think the picture would complement your comment.
My best regards._outside_ canted_ leeboard_.gif

Ron these are Lee Boards, they are designed to stop shallow hulled boats "slipping" sideways in cross winds. First used by the Chinese, Dutch boatbuilders then used them on Inshore Flat Bottomed boats. The St. Gabriel is built to a Dutch boat design, Flat Bottomed to enable it to sail in shallow waters, you will also find them on Thames Bargies that were designed to sail in the shallow Thames Estuary and River Medway, where they were sailed onto mud flats at High Tide and then unloaded when the Tide went out.
Cheers Andy

I can't believe it, I was right with my second guess! Thanks so much for filling us in Andy. See.. reading Dewey Lambdin, Patrick O'Brian, CS Forester and more can educate a non-nautical old fart after all :)

Thank you very much, my honorable colleagues for such a high evaluation of my work.
Jim, Zwaardkop, in this case, these are black wooden plates for the upper part of Zwaard.

Cheers , I'm very grateful for your help and such an interesting historical note.
I think the picture would complement your comment.
My best regards.View attachment 67479

Kortes, your work has inspired all of us! Your tiller/rudder addition is first rate. Thank you for the illustration. It definitely says a 'thousand' words and goes perfectly with Andy's explanation. What did you use to weld the steel? Your work at this small scale never ceases to amaze me.
Ron

I can endlessly talk about the quality and masterclass of your build. We would love to know how did you make Pintles\Gudgeons and nails, what material you have used, how did you blacken?

Russian translation: Я могу бесконечно говорить качестве и мастерстве с которым ты делаешь свою модель. Не мог бы ты рассказать как и и чего сделаны петли руля и гвозди? Как ты их чернил?

Hello Kortes,
I have just finished seeing your full log and I am humbled by the level of skill that you have incorporated into this beautiful little boat. I have been so inspired that I am looking for, and collecting, information so that I may one day build this little beauty. Thank you Sir for opening my eyes to the possibilities of viewing and appreciating boats of different countries. Bravo to you Sir.

With Kind Affection, Raymond.

Back