Friech Boeir Yacht "SPERWER" by Kortes -1:30 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

I can only repeat what Uwe said, WOW!! Great attention to details!

Unfortunately, my dear friend Jim, in this case i had to make an exception of compliance with the details. I couldn't think of any technology and make a
door bars at my scale indetical to the original. Due to this i decided to play some tricks. I have to confess it's a deliberate deviation.
I didn't have enough skill.

post-218-0-23071800-1370050243.jpg

Last edited:
The original Boeier DE SPERWER (shown in the dutch Zuider Zee Museum) is from the year 1884, according my information.....
The plan of the vessel you are using is showing the date 1865.

The door ornament is typical art nouveau style which started 1895 in Munich and very fast also in other countries
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Nouveau

I guess, that the door ornament was not original, but later installed on the boat´s door, as an additional ornamentation.......so I think you are absolutely building a contemporary model of the original vessel :cool:

Hello Kortes,
What method did you use to make the hinges? They look great, especially that you routed them into the door frame. Will they just hang from the female part of the hinge loosely or will you make a stop for them so that they do not slide out going up?
Raymond

The door hinges are made in classic style. The doors can be removed and put back in place like any room door. In order to install hinges, I had to use a non typical method. I hope the photos will explain everything.IMG_7263.JPGIMG_7186.JPGIMG_7267а.jpgIMG_7202.JPGIMG_7289_1.JPGIMG_7310.JPGIMG_7311.JPGIMG_7326.JPG

Last edited:
The original Boeier DE SPERWER (shown in the dutch Zuider Zee Museum) is from the year 1884, according my information.....
The plan of the vessel you are using is showing the date 1865.

The door ornament is typical art nouveau style which started 1895 in Munich and very fast also in other countries
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Nouveau

I guess, that the door ornament was not original, but later installed on the boat´s door, as an additional ornamentation.......so I think you are absolutely building a contemporary model of the original vessel :cool:

Dear Karl,
I'm very grateful for Your support and information.
My best regards.

Unfortunately, my dear friend Jim, in this case i had to make an exception of compliance with the details. I couldn't think of any technology and make a
door bars at my scale indetical to the original. Due to this i decided to play some tricks. I have to confess it's a deliberate deviation.
I didn't have enough skill.

View attachment 69384
Hello Brother,
Peglegreg who is here on SOS showed a video in making your own photo etch pieces. I have added the link to his post so that in the future you too will be able to make your own parts. Who knows, you might change the doors to make it as original as the drawing.
https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...sional-brass-etching-at-home.1861/#post-48785

I really hope you try it brother.

Raymond

Hello Brother,
Peglegreg who is here on SOS showed a video in making your own photo etch pieces. I have added the link to his post so that in the future you too will be able to make your own parts. Who knows, you might change the doors to make it as original as the drawing.
https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...sional-brass-etching-at-home.1861/#post-48785

I really hope you try it brother.

Raymond

Yes, Raymond You are right, this is a good photoetching, this is the only way to make this decor element. I understand this. But having judged my skills, and the lack of necessary equipment and materials, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to make this element properly. That is why I opted for abberation from the original. Probably I shouldn't have done it and leave the door without stained-glass window. Probably I should have done it that way. But my colleague Carl suggested one of the ways that justifies the way I made it.:)

Yes, Raymond You are right, this is a good photoetching, this is the only way to make this decor element. I understand this. But having judged my skills, and the lack of necessary equipment and materials, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to make this element properly. That is why I opted for abberation from the original. Probably I shouldn't have done it and leave the door without stained-glass window. Probably I should have done it that way. But my colleague Carl suggested one of the ways that justifies the way I made it.:)
Brother Kortes,
I understand that sometimes a person has to deviate from an original concept due to not having the necessary equipment and/or skills. However, the idea behind your doors' new design is by no means an aberration, it looks quite beautiful. If I were in your shoes I do not believe that I would have done it better then you.
Now the mastoker is something that came out very nice. You did say that it was pretty difficult. Was it because you had many small wooden parts to make or was it because of the metal work for it? Either way, you did an excellent job with the execution of it. Until your next post, I will remain waiting with anticipation.

Raymond

Back