Friech Boeir Yacht "SPERWER" by Kortes -1:30 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Alex,

It is no transportation modus but they can lower the mast to pas under low bridges. In the inland waterways there were and still are a lot of fixed bridges and to pass them you need to easily liwer your mast. On some of our Dutch type of sailing boats ( like Valk) you still can do that to sail the smaller canals with fixed bridges. I am also doing that my self in summer.

Beautiful bird, it is a Sperwer In English a sparrow hawk, showing the name of the vessel.
Al these traditional sailing ships showed their name by a statue at the top of their rudder showing their name.
Some more examples:
Boeier de kikker(frog)
Boeier-Kikker-WA-Kamp.jpg

De Schollevaer, scholekster (oyster catcher)
Roerversiering-Schollevaer-II.jpg.jpg

Lemsteraak de zeeman (seaman)
Lemsteraak-De-Zeeman.jpg

You get the idea :).

I would like to ask, please, if anybody could tell me why flagpole has such form? Is this a tribute to tradition or is there any other reason?
My best regards.
Hi Alex,

Officially you only see this on "PLATBODEMS" (flat bottom) and is only used when also the helm is curved.
Could not find one clear reason but several reasons. It makes more space for the giek. If you have a long giek on some vessels it can reach to over the rudder.
If you lower the mast the flag pole is the highest point, the curvature lowers it and if it hits something it will not break but bends instead. A none curved flag pole wil break.

Hi Alex,

Officially you only see this on "PLATBODEMS" (flat bottom) and is only used when also the helm is curved.
Could not find one clear reason but several reasons. It makes more space for the giek. If you have a long giek on some vessels it can reach to over the rudder.
If you lower the mast the flag pole is the highest point, the curvature lowers it and if it hits something it will not break but bends instead. A none curved flag pole wil break.

My greeting dear Maarten,
I also think it's related to the length of the giek, and, I think, the tribute to tradition has also played its part.
My best regards.

Back