Frigate L'Egyptienne 1799 - Scale 1/48 by Mic_Nao

I'm opening this topic dedicated to the Frégate de 24 l'Egyptienne, designed by François Caro and built in Toulon in 1799.

The documentation (based on the English and French archives) was established by Gerard Delacroix in a monograph published by Ancre in 2019.

This exceptional monograph includes a history, then very many 3D sketches that run through the entire ship. Many photos also of two models of the Egyptian exhibited at the Musée de la Marine in Paris, then 39 plates complete the work.

I chose to build my model ( poirier, buis,ébène érable ) at 1/48 which will make a model of almost one meter thirty. 24 frigates were called "heavy frigates".

I post some photos of the beginning of construction:

6.jpg4.jpg1.jpg5.jpg

3.jpg

I am happy to see a L'Egyptienne here. I will definitely follow your build. as you pointed out, in 1:48 scale she is very tall at 1.30 meters, she is a real beauty. From what I've read she was originally planned as a 74-gun battleship, hence her size, but was only built as a frigate during the Napoleonic Wars for cost reasons. However, this thesis is not 100% proven.

Dear Mic_Nao
Thank you very much for sharing with us the process of building this beautiful and special model. I will join the other members and follow your work, from which I expect to learn a lot. I would appreciate it if you could expand on the work processes, challenges and coping methods with explanations and pictures. Thanks and good luck :) Thumbsup

The Egyptienne is one of my favourites - one dream, that once I would like to build her also

For everybody interested in this vessel, please take a look at the planset review we have here in our forum

Planset review - L'EGYPTIENNE - french 24-prd frigate - 1799" in scale 1:48 by Gerard Delacroix

Planset Review: L'EGYPTIENNE 24-prd French frigate - 1799 in scale 1:48 by Gerard Delacroix alias our member @G. DELACROIX Brand new release, just some days ago published and already on my desk - many thanks to Gerard for the fast and safe postage. This very comprehensive and detailed...
shipsofscale.com

and also some history of the ship

French frigate Égyptienne (1799) - later fifth-rate frigate HMS Egyptienne (1801 - 1817) - Forte class

This is what wikipedia tells us about the ship: Égyptienne was a French frigate launched at Toulon in 1799. Her first service was in Napoleon's Egyptian campaign of 1801, in which the British captured her at Alexandria. She famously carried the Rosetta Stone to Woolwich, and then the Admiralty...
shipsofscale.com

The Egyptienne is one of my favourites - one dream, that once I would like to build her also

For everybody interested in this vessel, please take a look at the planset review we have here in our forum

Planset review - L'EGYPTIENNE - french 24-prd frigate - 1799" in scale 1:48 by Gerard Delacroix

Planset Review: L'EGYPTIENNE 24-prd French frigate - 1799 in scale 1:48 by Gerard Delacroix alias our member @G. DELACROIX Brand new release, just some days ago published and already on my desk - many thanks to Gerard for the fast and safe postage. This very comprehensive and detailed...
shipsofscale.com

and also some history of the ship

French frigate Égyptienne (1799) - later fifth-rate frigate HMS Egyptienne (1801 - 1817) - Forte class

This is what wikipedia tells us about the ship: Égyptienne was a French frigate launched at Toulon in 1799. Her first service was in Napoleon's Egyptian campaign of 1801, in which the British captured her at Alexandria. She famously carried the Rosetta Stone to Woolwich, and then the Admiralty...
shipsofscale.com

Uwe I can only agree with you She is divine. I have the plans in 1:36, which is monstrous.

Uwe I can only agree with you She is divine. I have the plans in 1:36, which is monstrous.
In 1:36 she would be a "monster model" - appr. 1,70 meter long

I took once the sideview plans either of the Egyptienne and also the Saint Philippe out - by myself I wanted to see these two ships in comparison.
The ruler on the drawing has a length of 50 cm. Both drawings are in scale 1:48

IMG-3538.jpg

I am so happy to see an Egyptienne here in a building log and will follow your work with biggest interest - so show us as often as possible your progress - every photo is interesting

I'm opening this topic dedicated to the Frégate de 24 l'Egyptienne, designed by François Caro and built in Toulon in 1799.

The documentation (based on the English and French archives) was established by Gerard Delacroix in a monograph published by Ancre in 2019.

This exceptional monograph includes a history, then very many 3D sketches that run through the entire ship. Many photos also of two models of the Egyptian exhibited at the Musée de la Marine in Paris, then 39 plates complete the work.

I chose to build my model ( poirier, buis,ébène érable ) at 1/48 which will make a model of almost one meter thirty. 24 frigates were called "heavy frigates".

I post some photos of the beginning of construction:
Hallo @Mic_Nao
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your Egyptienne project going?

Back