Furling sails

I want to put furled sails on my Constitution cross section. I'm assuming it's best to that before the yard is installed on the mast after all the hardware, blocks, etc., has been completed. Appreciate any insight as to the correct sequence of events.

I'm always in favor of doing as much rigging as possible away from the ship. So, yes, I would say you're correct. Install blocks, etc. on the yard first. I generally install the yards to the mast before the sheets. I like to get close to my work, so I clamp the mast lightly in a vise then add the sails and the running rigging lines before the mast goes on the ship.

Probably many other ways to do this though...

I'm always in favor of doing as much rigging as possible away from the ship. So, yes, I would say you're correct. Install blocks, etc. on the yard first. I generally install the yards to the mast before the sheets. I like to get close to my work, so I clamp the mast lightly in a vise then add the sails and the running rigging lines before the mast goes on the ship.

Probably many other ways to do this though...
Thanks for the advice. I also like to do everything possible to a mast/yard before installing. Finally wound up installing the top most yard and working down. Kept hitting the longer yard with my shirt sleeves reaching to the top when I did the other way. *&%## I built a Chesapeake Bay Skipjack and furled the sails. Liked it so wanted to try another project with the same arrangement. I read you need to make sails 1/2 size to keep from getting to much bulk when you furl them. Looking forward to getting to that point.

Here's another option. It's also a lot easier. This is just tissue paper tied to yard and then soaked with diluted wood glue and left to dry. I think it's more realistic looking than any real fabric at smaller scales, because even super thin fabric is way to thick at a scale like 1/96.

i-JqVT2Zm-XL.jpg

the tutorial from tom lauria is well done, but in the vid he put only one coat {each side } on the silk span. when i do this with the same paint and application method when dry you can literally see right through the silkspan. this may be fine for fully furled sails but for partialy furled sails it looks terrible. i tried extra coats of paint but it turned out as stiff as cardboard. i have given up on sikspan for partially furled sails and now use only light weight muslin with tinted stain. are there different grades { more opaque } of silkspan?

Here's another option. It's also a lot easier. This is just tissue paper tied to yard and then soaked with diluted wood glue and left to dry. I think it's more realistic looking than any real fabric at smaller scales, because even super thin fabric is way to thick at a scale like 1/96.

i-JqVT2Zm-XL.jpg
I am doing the 1/96 Revell Constitution and would like to do furled sails. Those look really good. Do you wet the tissue paper before tying it to the mast, with water, or with Elmer's glue? And what tissue paper do you use? Are your rope walks wire or thread?

The ropes are thread that were made stiff with CA. I did basically an accordion fold of the tissue paper and tied it on. then used a mix of about 20% wood glue and 80% water to wet it. I used the wood glue to get the yellowish color. I used cheap white kleenex for the tissue paper. Obviously with out lotion and aloe etc.

Back