Future group builds

donfarr

Blandford Group Build

Dave, Why not a temporary start as moderator, when you have to do something else go we understand, but just to get started or start something. And Zoly Dave and Gilles are correct burnout can be around the cornor, you have Uwe, Mike41, Jim to help so take some time away, to me you are esential to the site so watch yourself, you do not have to do it all, there coulkd be others among the international members. Don

donfarr

Blandford Group Build

Any sugestions, for a project to scratch, a POF build an easy one to start with, where I can get information when needed, about 2 more weeks I will be doing the Matthew, and that probally is answering my own question although not POF a good example as long as help is ther, through Dave when I run into problems Don

Jimsky

Staff member
Blandford Group Build

o bottom line we don't need no stinkin' group builds what we need is a good web site and forum that is well put together and informative.
Dave, SOS is very-well informative and awesome web site!!! We have so much information to offer for new and existing members. The philosophy learn from each other is working here, and people like it! The group builds - are not stinking. They are another way to unite modelers and promote the hobby as such. Yes, yes, and yes...it will require dedications, unfortunately, most if not all of us cannot offer.

Gilles Korent

1) I am always concerned about hearing or reading about elitism in anything ....... whatever the discipline (I am also a photographer and it is the same thing).
In model building, The very fact that someone builds anything from an idea or a set of plans and raw material, makes that person an elitist: a person that is part of a small group of like-minded people.
Once again, scratch building a vessel (whatever it is) does not mean growing and milling your own lumber. If laser cut parts are your cup of tea, then go at it.

2) I would think that SOS was created with a purpose, a wish to be a bit different from the other model ship "forums".
I personally believe that "Group builds" should have a higher purpose / goal than the average "show us images logs". make the goal of the "group build" fit SOS purpose as defined by the admin.

3) Build group should grow naturally: if it is interesting people will join and it does not have to be unique. The first step is top get it started. The group build / project will only die off when the administration of the group will end it: maybe when they decide all aspects have been covered, all questions have been answered. Not when all the models started by the initial members of the group are built. More will be built following the experience gained by the previous builder. People always have some sort of issues when they build: One of the goals is to educate people and take care of as many issue as they come. As one particular project grows, more members (new members) will join and add to the discussion. Look for quality (within your SOS purpose) of interaction: cannot expect to attract huge number of members to join. What you need to show is valuable info.

G

Last edited:

Gilles Korent

This is funny..... for some, frustrating for others.

For the membership:
The SOS Admin, sponsors, etc ..... decides on the project topics, sets the purpose, the goals and rules of each project. Members interested in participating in any project sign-up for it when it appears. Other members pass until the right project comes along.
It is that easy: It is up to each member to decide if it is a fit or not, if they have enough patience, tools, and skills.

For the project leaders:
Project designer (SOS admin or individual members or project leaders) present their project(s) once those goals and rules have been clearly established ..... and the project is on. No argument needed. No tailoring a particular project for one member or the other. Do not try to be everything to everyone.
It is that easy: It is up to each member to decide if it is s fit or not, if they have enough patience, tools, and skills.

For both:
No rush needed on the part of the administration or the membership. No pushing one way or another by trying to find a consensus on subject, rules and whatever else (from the Admin or the membership) for any particular project. Patience is needed from all: that is the base of the practice of modeling: whether is is scratch, semi-kit or kit, wood, metal, paper, etc....... Building something takes time.
It is that easy: It is up to each member to decide if it is s fit for them, if they have enough patience, tools, and skills.

Final point:
No "what are you waiting for" - "I am ready to start whatever you propose" from anyone. Everyone has to understand that.

G

Last edited:

Gilles Korent

And here is another thing I do not get.....
What is wrong or what is the problem with a long term build as a special project X: a build that will take 1, 2, 3 or more years to complete?
What I see are people who will build 2, 3, 4 models in much less time, but keep pumping those up in that many years.... jumping from one project to the next wondering what their next one is going to be as they complete their current one.
Is it because their attention span is too short? Because they get bored after a while? Or because they need to show quantity to feel good for themselves?
Because building a bunch of stuff is more rewarding compared to spending the time working on one single long-term project?
I mean those kits are not cheap either and everything adds up. That cost would easily cover milled lumber, a few basic tools to accomplish a decent model and At the same time learning new skills.
G.

donfarr

Blandford Group Build

quickly Gilles 1 to 3 years, probally will not be here, that is the problem with long term builds FOR ME. Don

Winston

If time is an issue for members such as in Don's case (for example only) these discussions on potential group builds is probably not the best place to look for future projects. They would be better off looking for projects all ready under way. Even a simple project can take considerable time to develop. Its a process and processes take time. So, while it may seem that things are going nowhere, I can tell you for one, that a lot of very valuable information has been shared by everyone throughout the discussion on how group builds can be done and if no model was ever selected to build, I would certainly walk away much wiser and knowledgeable person about group builds because of it.