Galilee Boat kit from Scott Miller [COMPLETED BUILD]

It’s starting to fill in…one strake at a time. I’ll need to do some heavy planing and sanding, though. View attachment 330901
Good morning Vic. You are getting there! The lay of the strakes are good and I think with some sanding this is going to come out beautifully. WOW how is that bend and twist on that plank! I can see why this is a difficult hull to plank . Cheers Grant

Good morning Vic. You are getting there! The lay of the strakes are good and I think with some sanding this is going to come out beautifully. WOW how is that bend and twist on that plank! I can see why this is a difficult hull to plank . Cheers Grant
I actually twisted it a little too much, Grant. Six more strakes and I'm done planking the hull!

Thanks for the encouragement! I thought I saw in an earlier post that your name is David? Or did I remember incorrectly. Happens more and more at my age.

This is definitely harder working with a strongback. First, I don’t have a second planking to cover mistakes. I also can’t putty to smooth things out because I’m not painting the hull. It’s been a challenge.
Good evening Vic. If it’s not a challenge the satisfaction is not quite the same- certainly looks like you have pulled it off and it looks like it is going to finish off great. Cheers Grant

Now I have to decide whether to paint the outside of the hull with ca. I had to glue the strakes on the outside with ca and it leaves splotches. The directions say to paint the inside with ca. I’ll go back over the directions again.

Well, I messed up! I mass produced all the partial frames according to the instructions. Unfortunately, the directions are the same for the smaller 16” version of the boat. They don’t fit and I don’t have enough wood for more. Now I have two choices: mix the mahogany with some leftover sapelle pieces or split some leftover hull planking from this kit. There’s quite a difference in the kit wood and the sapelle. image.jpg

Back