galley washington 1776

Well, since I signed up for this forum I have been entering daily and seeing good works and everything that I have found interesting, which is a lot, but I have practically not been very participative, so it is time to start. Normally I am working on several projects in different phases, but I am not documenting them photographically, so I am going to start with this one that I was already looking forward to. that I have ordered here:
I have ordered pear tree and since they cut it in any thickness I have asked for it in the immediately superior one in mm and then give it the thickness in inches according to the list of materials that they recommend when downloading the corresponding instructions in the place where you buy the plans, which is surely well known So I don't think it's necessary to say more ...
So while I wait for the wood I will continue cutting templates that also have their workIMG_0617.JPG

Did you have a hard time eating the ice cream to be able to use the tub for parts collection?

Plans look good for now, will watch this build as well.

Not much, here in Andalusia it is very hot. The translator I use does not seem to translate as I would like but I imagine it is understood. the normal thing as a European would have been to start some ANCRE, of which I have some monographs, but I saw this one in NRG and it caught my attention
in case someone doesn't know him
I don't know how it could be described, a gunboat galley?

History:

Source DICTIONARY OF American Naval Fighting ships

In the autumn of 1775, the Rhode Island General Assembly ordered the construction of two row galleys, Washington and Spitfire, and in January 1776 appointed John Grimes commodore of galleys. During the winter and spring of 1776, these galleys operated in Narragansett Bay, protecting the colony's shipping, carrying troops, and covering foraging parties seeking supplies.

In July, the galleys were sent to New York to join the tiny flotilla George Washington was fitting out on the Hudson River and apparently came under Continental control. On the afternoon of 3 August, Washington served as flagship for Lt. Col. Benjamin Tupper as that officer led an attack on the Royal Navy's warships Phoenix and Rose. As the galleys approached, Phoenix opened fire on the American boats to begin an action at grapeshot range which lasted some two hours before the Americans retired to Dobb's Ferry.

During the engagement, four Americans were killed, and 14 others were wounded. On the British side, Phoenix was hulled twice and suffered substantial damage.

After the British captured Manhattan Island late in the summer, Washington and her sister galleys vanished in the mists of unrecorded history.

Hi, unfortunatly i started this build, did the keel assembly, all the frames then nothing, no jig, no jig, frames all over the place, ugh, that is why i will not do a POF build scratch or kit, with out a jig, will be interested in seeing how you overcome this problem, BTW think i still have all the pieces. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

Hi, unfortunatly i started this build, did the keel assembly, all the frames then nothing, no jig, no jig, frames all over the place, ugh, that is why i will not do a POF build scratch or kit, with out a jig, will be interested in seeing how you overcome this problem, BTW think i still have all the pieces. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON
Don the instructions for the building board are on page 9 of the monograph.

HI MIKE, YES I KNOW AND I DID IT JUST AS THEY BSAID STILL HAVE IT, THE PROBLEM FOR ME WAS NO WAY THAT I COULD KEEP THE FRAMES FROM LEANING FORE AND AFT, TRIED EVERY THING AS I DO NOT GIVE UP EASILY JUST COULD NOT DO IT, THE SAME FOR THE LUMBERYARD ONEDIA, DAVE HAS SAID QUITE A FEW TIMES THAT HE MADE A MISTAKE NOT DOING A JIG, HAVE THOSE FRAMES ALSO NOW KRIS IS DOING THE JIGS FOR ME, WAITING FOR MY LE ROCHFORT JIG AND ARMED LONG BOAT DECORATIONS TO COME IN. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU ANHD YOURS DON

Very interesting project - I will follow your building log with big interest.
So we all can hope, that you will get the timber in time and you cans tart to make saw-dust

BTW: I found one drawing of the Washington at the NMM - maybe it is helping ?!?

j0059.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, inboard profile, and basic longitudinal half-breadth for Washington (1776) pierced for 18 guns, an ex-American Galley taken on Lake Champlain and taken off in 1776. Signed by Jonathan Coleman [Master Shipwright, St. Johns, Lake Champlain, Canada]

and at wikipedia in high resolution

USSWashingtonModel.jpg

Not much, here in Andalusia it is very hot. The translator I use does not seem to translate as I would like but I imagine it is understood. the normal thing as a European would have been to start some ANCRE, of which I have some monographs, but I saw this one in NRG and it caught my attention
in case someone doesn't know him
I don't know how it could be described, a gunboat galley?

fun fact Benji I am from Andalusia Illinois in the USA lol

I have already received an email that I imagine means that it has been sent, this week I am cutting frames.
If it is curious that there is a city called Andalusia, I know that there is granada, Madrid, Valencia, it seemed to me to see, they are cities but Andalusia is a region;)

Very interesting project - I will follow your building log with big interest.
So we all can hope, that you will get the timber in time and you cans tart to make saw-dust

BTW: I found one drawing of the Washington at the NMM - maybe it is helping ?!?

View attachment 162844
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, inboard profile, and basic longitudinal half-breadth for Washington (1776) pierced for 18 guns, an ex-American Galley taken on Lake Champlain and taken off in 1776. Signed by Jonathan Coleman [Master Shipwright, St. Johns, Lake Champlain, Canada]

and at wikipedia in high resolution

View attachment 162845

All additional information is always interesting, thank you. I was curious when I saw it, it is not a frigate, with Latin sails, with oars, it seems something improvised where to place artillery ...o_O

I have already received an email that I imagine means that it has been sent, this week I am cutting frames.
If it is curious that there is a city called Andalusia, I know that there is granada, Madrid, Valencia, it seemed to me to see, they are cities but Andalusia is a region;)

Yea but here its more of a village only abt 1500 people

I have already received the wood, and as it says on the page, the cut is perfect, only a 1 mm one has come slightly defective, but cutting a 1000mmx100x1 board does not think it is an easy task, it also changes the tone of one another, but very satisfied, now just touch up a little with the proxxon DH to approximate the thickness to inches. now to glue hundreds of templates and to cut, may the force be with me

Well, since I signed up for this forum I have been entering daily and seeing good works and everything that I have found interesting, which is a lot, but I have practically not been very participative, so it is time to start. Normally I am working on several projects in different phases, but I am not documenting them photographically, so I am going to start with this one that I was already looking forward to. that I have ordered here:
I have ordered pear tree and since they cut it in any thickness I have asked for it in the immediately superior one in mm and then give it the thickness in inches according to the list of materials that they recommend when downloading the corresponding instructions in the place where you buy the plans, which is surely well known So I don't think it's necessary to say more ...
So while I wait for the wood I will continue cutting templates that also have their work
Hallo @benji
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Are you still working on this project?

Hallo @benji
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Are you still working on this project?
hello, thank you, I am a little older:( if I continue with the galley, it is quite advanced, but I have several projects at once, I will see if I publish photos soon, the truth is that I have no patience to be taking pictures, I prefer to have the project more advanced and then present it at once.

Back