Gamo Jabeque Side Profile Scale Drawing

I no longer believe Jabeque Gamo was based on the Jorge Juan pattern book design used for the above drawing, which was a conclusion I originally reached based on her keel/length ratio. The Spanish measured the length at the bow starting at the stem even in the case where a forecastle cut off the deck from the beak area making this specific type jabeque no more likely than any other. The matter is further complicated by two authoritative reference works with different measures for Gamo. I now believe Gamo actually looked like the jabeques shown in a copyrighted Spanish archival drawing of the construction works on Mallorca and a more conventional deep-water jabeque design by Jorge Juan. It is also possible her stern looked like the Pocock drawing, but I cannot help be suspicious that he simply used a Venetian or French stern as no Spanish jabeque historical material confirms its use. The Pocok design shows a real bowsprit, whereas the known Spanish jabeques had a beak and jibboom. That said, there is evidence of later round-rigged jabeques with a true bowsprit cited in the Chebec Relequin 1750 monogroph.

Back