GB news item, renaming RN Submarine.

I have no intension of upsetting anyone here, but I thought to bring the stupidity of those 'in charge' (UK) to the attention of fellow shipmates here.
The Royal Navy has had 5 ships named HMS Agincourt, the latest is a submarine, & now the 'silly brigade' have suggested changing her name for fear of "upsetting the French". Now, how many of you French Shipmates feel upset? In the past, French & English ships have changed hands many times with no name changes, so why now? With all due respect, I ask how many times have the French 'upset' England? ;) I was always lead to believe it to be bad luck to change the name of a vessel. Perhaps it's another example of what they call 'Woke', whatever that is. :rolleyes:

Yes, reet daft. Are the silly brigade (a euphamism I assume) also advocating a rename for Trafalgar Square , Waterloo station and Blenheim Palace?

Sometimes these media stories are just made up to provoke a response. Here in the UK one leading (?) Paper (Daily Fail!) Keeps refering to the Queen Elizabeth as the "Big Lizzy", even claiming that's what the crew call her. I've yet to meet anyone in the service that calls her by that name.
But I have read in numerous sources that some politicians across the pond (you know the type, never served themselves,but always with an opinion) that are pushing to change some big ship names in the USN. i.e. any Tico class cruiser names after a Civil War battle that the Confederate army won. One article has even suggested that 2 of the Nimitz class carriers named after senators, might also have to be renamed because close scrutiny of their voting records in the 1950s\60s doesn't meet the values of today.

So in an era of possibly seeing the greatest likelihood of conflict in 80 years, it's really reassuring that politically correct ship naming is the top priority. Perhaps just go for HMS Fluffy ?

Sometimes these media stories are just made up to provoke a response. Here in the UK one leading (?) Paper (Daily Fail!) Keeps refering to the Queen Elizabeth as the "Big Lizzy", even claiming that's what the crew call her. I've yet to meet anyone in the service that calls her by that name.
But I have read in numerous sources that some politicians across the pond (you know the type, never served themselves,but always with an opinion) that are pushing to change some big ship names in the USN. i.e. any Tico class cruiser names after a Civil War battle that the Confederate army won. One article has even suggested that 2 of the Nimitz class carriers named after senators, might also have to be renamed because close scrutiny of their voting records in the 1950s\60s doesn't meet the values of today.

So in an era of possibly seeing the greatest likelihood of conflict in 80 years, it's really reassuring that politically correct ship naming is the top priority. Perhaps just go for HMS Fluffy ?
They'll be 'deleting' the 'Civil War' next, denying it ever happened. I'm led to believe it was 'A War Between The States', rather than a civil war.

They'll be 'deleting' the 'Civil War' next, denying it ever happened. I'm led to believe it was 'A War Between The States', rather than a civil war.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905. From the series Great Ideas of Western Man.

No different than what is happening in the States. Indian named mascots are being replaced because they somehow offend "Native Americans". Woke people here would have one believe the Indians tribes were completely peaceful, at one with nature, and lived in harmony. Until the White colonial oppressors arrived. Somehow the PC people have not yet gotten to renaming the Apache helicopter or the Tomahawk cruise missile, but that just a matter of time.

Renaming and back-washing history to accommodate current sensitivities seem to be standard practice these days. I've always been of the belief that we need to look at historical figures (and names) in the context of the times they lived or existed in. Many of those castigated by the woke crowd were people who accomplished many good things, while at the same time partaking of practices and speech that are now considered inappropriate. Novels that were once considered classics are now thought of as items that should be banned from school libraries and academic study. Rather than book burning, they should be studied not only for their original value, but now as examples of how society (and the way people relate) have changed over the centuries. When humankind finds itself in a situation where it no longer needs to focus energies on daily survival, it provides people with the luxury of wallowing in nonsense and the never-ending contest of "oh yeah, well I'm more buggered up than you". Social media is such an oxymoron. IMHO

Which I guess places me squarely in the category of "grumpy old men", as I no longer have patience or tolerance for nonsense, and no longer feel the need to refrain from speaking my mind for fear of offending someone. Everyone seems to be offended these days, and then there are those who have no personal skin in the game, but feel the need to be offended on behalf of others who do. It's an international pastime.

End of rant.... lol

That's something that I cannot understand ANY meaning whatsoever of! :mad: Probably, like many others, I can make up my own interpretation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALL it means to me, is something I did before getting outta bed! ;)
DUHHH !!!!!

Wokeness, DEI,changing the sex of children or denying gender at birth must all pass away. When .05% of a population instead of the majority rule, problems arise, the "resurrection" of racism as a tool, rampant illegal migration, using fear of world end because of a hurricane or heavy rain flooding weather...
That's the kind of stuff societies break down from.
Which is desired by some.
It's nice to hear from fellow modelers from different parts of our world that sanity still exists!
Sorry for the rant, I've just had enough of this crap.
Steve

Back