G'day from Australia

I am in East Bentleigh, Melbourne, Victoria. I have built plastic models from early childhood, planes and ships but my main interest is ships. Started with military but grew into older style with all the maritime history here. Having the Shipwreck Coast I loved the fascination of sail and the Cutty Sark. I built the Revell 1:96 and Thermopylae, then bought IMAI plank on frame with big plans to put it into a bar. But that never eventuated. Still have it in a box, plans a little silver fish eaten. Never knew of other model makers that was all Hearns Hobbbies had at the time and no such thing as internet Late 1970s. Fast forward I wish I had held off. I have bought the Revell kit again to restart my love of model making, and others. A number of plastic and plank on frame. Billings, Artesania, Caldercraft, Model Shipways, Tamiya, Hobby Boss, new and old. I should put a list together. Amazing what you get from Facebook marketplace too. A couple are bought damaged to help re-hone skills and not worry if I cannot fix, just learn and provide spares, lol. Joined here to read and learn new skills, techniques, ideas, meet.

I am in East Bentleigh, Melbourne, Victoria. I have built plastic models from early childhood, planes and ships but my main interest is ships. Started with military but grew into older style with all the maritime history here. Having the Shipwreck Coast I loved the fascination of sail and the Cutty Sark. I built the Revell 1:96 and Thermopylae, then bought IMAI plank on frame with big plans to put it into a bar. But that never eventuated. Still have it in a box, plans a little silver fish eaten. Never knew of other model makers that was all Hearns Hobbbies had at the time and no such thing as internet Late 1970s. Fast forward I wish I had held off. I have bought the Revell kit again to restart my love of model making, and others. A number of plastic and plank on frame. Billings, Artesania, Caldercraft, Model Shipways, Tamiya, Hobby Boss, new and old. I should put a list together. Amazing what you get from Facebook marketplace too. A couple are bought damaged to help re-hone skills and not worry if I cannot fix, just learn and provide spares, lol. Joined here to read and learn new skills, techniques, ideas, meet.
Welcome aboard!

Welcome Robmelbourne,
Good luck with whatever build you decide to do.
I too am new here and enjoying this site.

Welcome to the site Rob. It's a great community with quite a few Aussies. :)

from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Thanks Wedgie. I am seeing more and more. I have enjoyed reading the posts but not commented much. used it a fair bit for some research. Love how it is for both plastic and wood of all scales. I am tending towards 1/350 in plastic as I find it less fiddly. It also helps giving me perspective among the fleet to see the size of the ship by having the same scale of say Bismarck and HMS Hood etc. Long weekend coming up, good time to catalogue my stash and sell what I dont need in the other scales, or swap, or give away.

Thanks Wedgie. I am seeing more and more. I have enjoyed reading the posts but not commented much. used it a fair bit for some research. Love how it is for both plastic and wood of all scales. I am tending towards 1/350 in plastic as I find it less fiddly. It also helps giving me perspective among the fleet to see the size of the ship by having the same scale of say Bismarck and HMS Hood etc. Long weekend coming up, good time to catalogue my stash and sell what I dont need in the other scales, or swap, or give away.
There are some amazing forums and builds for research, for sure. I'm partial to the 1/200 scale myself these days; older and eyes not as good as they used to be. :) Enjoy your long weekend.

Hallo @Robmelbourne
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back