G'day from Fremantle, Australia.

G'day all, I'm new to building wooden models although I started building a model of the Endeavour many years ago and have recently started on it again with renewed interest. I would like to build a model of the VOC ship Batavia but I need to gain a bit more experience by completing the Endeavour first. I am very interested in Australian history and the Batavia is such an important part of Western Australian history in particular that I really want to build a model of this ship.

I have visited the Abrolhos Islands where the Batavia was wrecked and have seen the islands where the murders took place. As a former safari tour guide in the north west of Western Australia I'm especially fascinated by the VOC ships that travelled up our coast on their way to the spice islands, especially those that didn't reach their destination.

I hope to learn a lot from reading through the many threads on this forum. Thanks for letting me join, cheers, Dave.

Welcome aboard Dave lots of Aussies here, I'm from Melbourne and have family in Perth. The Batavia museum is very interesting and it would make a nice project. Is your Endeavour from a kit? Post some pictures or start a build log there will be interest.

Hallo Dave,

first of all also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Only for your information. One of our members Hans alias @Kolderstok is the owner of a kit manufacturer with the same name

He is offering a very detailed model kit of the Batavia - highly recommended

20150131-_MG_5036.jpg

www.kolderstok.com

Hallo Dave,

first of all also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Only for your information. One of our members Hans alias @Kolderstok is the owner of a kit manufacturer with the same name

He is offering a very detailed model kit of the Batavia - highly recommended

View attachment 241469

www.kolderstok.com
Thankyou for the welcome, much appreciated.

That is the kit I'm planning on buying, I think it's a fantastic model. Cheers mate.

Welcome aboard Dave lots of Aussies here, I'm from Melbourne and have family in Perth. The Batavia museum is very interesting and it would make a nice project. Is your Endeavour from a kit? Post some pictures or start a build log there will be interest.
G'day Tony, thanks for the welcome. The Endeavour model is from a kit, I started it years ago but life gets in the way sometimes but I've started on it again, I can't justify buying a Batavia kit if I haven't finished this one yet and my wife would be less than impressed if I have two on the go at the same time.

G'day all, I'm new to building wooden models although I started building a model of the Endeavour many years ago and have recently started on it again with renewed interest. I would like to build a model of the VOC ship Batavia but I need to gain a bit more experience by completing the Endeavour first. I am very interested in Australian history and the Batavia is such an important part of Western Australian history in particular that I really want to build a model of this ship.

I have visited the Abrolhos Islands where the Batavia was wrecked and have seen the islands where the murders took place. As a former safari tour guide in the north west of Western Australia I'm especially fascinated by the VOC ships that travelled up our coast on their way to the spice islands, especially those that didn't reach their destination.

I hope to learn a lot from reading through the many threads on this forum. Thanks for letting me join, cheers, Dave.
Hallo @Sandgroper
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Welcome aboard. I have recently finished reading Peter Fitzsimons Batavia book and visiting the islands would be something I would like to do whenever I can make it to the west coast. Keep going with your build, it took 25 years to finish my first build.

Welcome Dave.

Ah the Batavia, good old memories. Sitting on the Lion in the yard before it got installed on the replica as a kid @ Lelystad. Can still remember the smell of the wood while walking through it during the build.

The replica is currently rotting away.

If people want pics of the build i can probably find them in the archive and scan them.

Last edited:
Welcome Dave.

Ah the Batavia, good old memories. Sitting on the Lion in the yard before it got installed on the replica as a kid @ Lelystad. Can still remember the smell of the wood while walking through it during the build.

The replica is currently rotting away.

If people want pics of the build i can probably find them in the archive and scan them.
What a tragedy to have such a magnificent ship left to deteriorate. I wish the Western Australian government would buy it and bring it out here, they've got plenty of money.

What a tragedy to have such a magnificent ship left to deteriorate. I wish the Western Australian government would buy it and bring it out here, they've got plenty of money.
Opt it haha. The climate is much better to preserve it.

Welcome about to our great forum.
Endeavour and Batavia are both great model to build and you can find ways of how to finish the ones you have started.

Sandgroper:
A very warm welcome to our helpful forum.
No time to waste. Pick up your Endevaour and let’s finish her.
C462FE5F-F551-47A0-8799-8990E6CE1ACF.jpeg

Hallo @Sandgroper
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back