Geobukseon Known as Turtle ship (a Korean battleship) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Uwek, thank you for posting those details and images. I missed That internet site. Incredible, as I spent a lot of time searching for info/images all around.

Thank you again !!!

From that site, I can confirm that my modifications to the kit were correctly done.

I can see the kit was OK with the bottom high of the door frame and that my addition of a step, was a logic one. That step can be seen at the picture too. Could be it is for the tourists. It has a legen over it. Could be it just say "Do not enter" :) or provide some explanation of the step.

Also on this Turtle repro, at the oars, the floor has movable sections to cover the floor oars holes. That will allow the cannons to be placed over those oars holes. On others pictures i found that is not depicted. The design is different. Due to that I did a big modification of those holes. Now, future builders of this kit can add that "movable piece of floor". Both ways (the movable floors or as I did it, will be correct)

Nice pictures of the cannon attachments and also of the deck I modified.

Overall, this site images provided me relief concerning my modifications of the kit.

Here are the images from the site I am referring too:

Geobs017.jpgGeobs022.jpgGeobs020.jpgGeobs021.jpgGeobs023.jpg

On the below image looks like there is a table in front of the ruder (I forgot the name of the piece if wood used to move the ruder). I will see if I have space to add it too.

Geobs018.jpg

Moreover, I am happy to see that my desk addition to the officer's cabin was OK. I will see if I can hang there a map too... :)

This is all about having fun and I am enjoying this built a lot.

Thanks again !!

Cheers
Daniel

Moreover, the way I did the cannon doors and the windows all over the side, are correct. It can be clearly seen on the oars images. I am very happy !!!

Ho Ho - is this a gun port? Opening the mouth and fire is coming out ....... Explosion

HAHAHA..... In some Turtle ships a cannon was located inside the dragon head. This model, as the museum one, does not have the cannon inside the dragon head. Others had a second deck with cannon shooting out through the "Turtle Shields" . In other words 2 rows of cannons at 2 levels.

This scary head goes at the Bow. Exactly at the front and was aimed to scare the hell out of the enemies at the same time it was crashing against the enemy ship.

These ships, for the time, were a really strong war machine.

See below museum picture

Screenshot_20210601-194640_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210708-082100_Chrome.jpg

14161.jpeg

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
That is an intimidating piece of decoration. With a face like that, superstitious people will not tolerate that model in the house! On the ship it is even more impressive!

That is an intimidating piece of decoration. With a face like that, superstitious people will not tolerate that model in the house! On the ship it is even more impressive!

Seriously, you think that some people would not allow this model at their house or it is just a funny comment ?

Cheers
Daniel

Hi Daniel - to give you an example: I once had a statue of a Mongolian war lord in my study at the high school where I taught in South Africa. The staff who were responsible for cleaning the office, refused to enter the room because of the statue. So, sometimes, people have funny ideas ...

Hi Daniel - to give you an example: I once had a statue of a Mongolian war lord in my study at the high school where I taught in South Africa. The staff who were responsible for cleaning the office, refused to enter the room because of the statue. So, sometimes, people have funny ideas ...

Interesting.... !!!

Daniel

Just beautiful, beautiful .... the stain has really brought the wood alive and I appreciate the fact that it is not too dark. By the way ... I like the confidence man ... "you can zoom for details"!!! ROTF That's the way it should be as you have every right in the world to be supremely confident after this build!

Ok guys... finish rudder and tiller and all the cannons. Plus added a map on one officer cabin. Still I wl add another on the other cabin to.

Then glued and stained all the upper deck with the stairs.

You can zoom for details.

Cheers
Daniel

View attachment 243416
View attachment 243409View attachment 243410View attachment 243411View attachment 243412View attachment 243413View attachment 243414View attachment 243415
Great job! I really like this ship the more I see it progress. ;)

Just beautiful, beautiful .... the stain has really brought the wood alive and I appreciate the fact that it is not too dark. By the way ... I like the confidence man ... "you can zoom for details"!!! ROTF That's the way it should be as you have every right in the world to be supremely confident after this build!
Great job! I really like this ship the more I see it progress. ;)

Thank you Heinrich and Dean !!!!

So far it has been a nice built. Different from the standard we are used to built and at the same time interesting.

I will focus now in adding a few details to the decks. Then came the roof, covered with metal spiked shields.

Cheers
Daniel

A week have passed and just a few things done today and yesterday.

Added details to the deck. Not included in the kit. All cannons glued. And started the roof.

The 2 long beans, from stern to bow are glued. The 2 short ones at the cabin level and the 2 beams at the center, are not glued neither sanded. Just placed to check how they fit.

A jig was used, provided with the kit, to have a precise distance and correct position of the 2 long beans.

The Jig is detailed on 2nd and 3er pictures.

Pictures please :) . And you can zoom for details

20210718_152729.jpg20210718_165227.jpgScreenshot_20210718-172130_Gallery.jpg20210718_171307.jpg20210718_171409.jpg20210718_171559.jpg20210718_171739.jpg20210718_171815.jpg20210718_171949.jpg20210718_172211.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

That is a very ingenious use of the jig to ensure the correct placement for the supporting beams. Does it still get supporting beams on the other end as well - (I am not sure whether the cabin end is bow or stern !!! ROTF)?

Be that as it may - even unglued and not-sanded, those cross-beams already seem to have a very good fit!

Back