Glory of the Seas 1869 clipper, scratch 1/96 by rwiederrich [COMPLETED BUILD]

Picking up on this build I have been working for nearly a year, that worldwide friends and I have been working with Michael Mjelde who has written several books on the subject and has chronicalled her for over 45 yuears.
A bulkhead drawing was created and I POB'd this build.
All we had was photographic evidence to work with... so we had to reverse engineer her.
I will be completing her to include composite masts and yards. Roughly to her 1877 time configuration. Her heyday.

Her full build log can be followed at MSW.

RobF239DBC6-8C00-446C-A099-FC104F98E60E.thumb.jpeg.c025e2e9f03dbf7960fc89969960e747.jpeg8E1E55FA-5794-45FF-A5E7-90966614847C.thumb.jpeg.451393438b5c417febb7c661e078afa2.jpeg72AB2BA0-649F-4223-BE92-B4FD3079114E.thumb.jpeg.2b5c166f9aec49d32ff6c0ee50d72f7c.jpegglory at pier.jpg

Last edited:
Very good and realistic looking work on the masts, spars and rigging.
May I ask, which material you used for the "sails"? I guess it is not any canvas, or?

Very good and realistic looking work on the masts, spars and rigging.
May I ask, which material you used for the "sails"? I guess it is not any canvas, or?
Thanks very much.

I make it my habit to use unorthodox material to achieve my results. In this application, I used dental orthodontic light cured compound. Not your average or easily acquired material for the average builder.1646071450708.png

Rob

Looking very good - especially from this perspective view - the chains of the bowsprit, copper plating etc.
The anchor is looking relatively small compared to the height of hull, but I compare this only to much older ships with much smaller hulls.
These clippers were much much bigger
Very good work

Looking very good - especially from this perspective view - the chains of the bowsprit, copper plating etc.
The anchor is looking relatively small compared to the height of hull, but I compare this only to much older ships with much smaller hulls.
These clippers were much much bigger
Very good work
Thanks Uwek. The anchors are to right scale...I, however, chose to reduce her wood stocks from the original she was fitted out with because sometime around her 1872 refit, she was fitted out with all iron anchors. I chose to make an upgrade based upon this known transition.

Rob

You sir are a master of your craft, the detail on the masts and spars is fantastic. The beam is quite wide , what did the original ship carry as her cargo ?
She was a *Medium* clipper, with a more robust entry and shallower deadrise to accommodate cargo(unlike her slimmer extreme clipper sisters). She was actually the first(Or one of), DownEasters.

Rob

Thank you for that information , built for comfort not speed then Rob?
Best wishes for a problem free build .
Niallmhor
Speed at this point in Clipper development was relative...since Glory of the Seas did indeed set several speed records as well.......Even though her model was designed around passenger and cargo carrying...she was still considered fast. Cargo rates had fallen since the Australian and California gold rushes....so carrying capacity replaced haste.

Thanks for enquiring......and... Calm winds and following seas.

Rob

Back