Glue used for final planking

Starting final planking layer. Wondering if I should use wood glue or try a contact adhesive. Is one better than the other once you start staining the planks?

Starting final planking layer. Wondering if I should use wood glue or try a contact adhesive. Is one better than the other once you start staining the planks?
Based on my experience - sometimes this and sometimes the other type.
Depending on the length of the planks, the necessary bending of the plank, do you prebend them or not, maybe also which kind of wood are the planks.
also how is the first planking made (material etc.)
Somehow, all these have an influence if I use only wood glue or a combination of wood and contact cement.
Maybe you show us the hull with some photos and give some more information

I use CA gel almost exclusively...
Been using Loctite Super Gel. Sometimes it takes clamping the pieces and then they still aren't totally adhered. I did read on here that the thicker the adhesive, the longer the drying time. What brand do you find works best for you?

Been using Loctite Super Gel. Sometimes it takes clamping the pieces and then they still aren't totally adhered. I did read on here that the thicker the adhesive, the longer the drying time. What brand do you find works best for you?
Actually any brand that happens to be a good buy or easily available. I recently bought a larger container of CA thick by “stick fast” on Amazon. A generic brand I think. Anyway I have not found any appreciable difference in brands of CA. Just be sure the CA is really labeled as thick or gel. There are various grades of CA to include thin, medium, thick. The reason I use CA gel (or thick) is it does not wick into the wood as quickly allowing the thicker CA to clamp up the two parts being glued. A few drops where needed...hold in place for a count of ten (or fifteen if the plank is under stress)...and the plank is glued in place nicely. Works for me even on curved planking under stress although I might need to clamp or hold for an extra few seconds. Yes...the thicker the CA the longer the drying time but I have not had any difficulty with this...just hold in place for the extra few seconds required. Just my experience...

I would only recommend PVA (white) glue. You can wipe off any excess with water and it will be a stronger bond. The downside is that it takes longer to set, but if you bend the planks sufficiently so that they lay in place it's not a huge problem. Plus if you have an electric plank bender you can "iron" them dry.

I would only recommend PVA (white) glue. You can wipe off any excess with water and it will be a stronger bond. The downside is that it takes longer to set, but if you bend the planks sufficiently so that they lay in place it's not a huge problem. Plus if you have an electric plank bender you can "iron" them dry.
But PVA needs continuous clamping to properly set and come to strength. It would take me forever to build using only PVA glues.

I use GORILLA WOOD GLUE, WITH A GLUE APPLACATER, AND LOCTITE, THEY BOTH WORK, BUT THE LOCTITE IS A FINGER-STICKER, IF I HAVE TO BEND, I USE LOCTITE, FASTER DRYING TIME, FOR STRAIT PLANKS, MAST'S, AND OTHER STUFF [ON DECK] I USE GORILLA, AND IT DRIES IN ABOUT FIVE MIN, MABY LESS,[ NEVER TIMED IT. THEN WHEN ALL THE PLANKS ARE DRYED, FOR 3 DAYS, I THEN USE THAT KIDS SCHOOL GLUE,[THE PURPLE STUFF] SPRED IT WITH VERY LITTLE WATER ON MY FINGER," I SAY FINGHER, BECAUSE BY THE TIME IM FINISHED, I HAVE NO DRY FINGERS LEFT" JUST KIDDING, BUT THAT GLUE SEALES EVERYTHING NO PAINT SEEPS THREW, THAT JUST MY OPIN; BUT IT WORKS FOR ME. HOPE THIS HELPS!

ATTITION: FOR ALL YOU PRO'S SINCE I HAVE A 1:200 SCALE, HOW HIGH SHOULD MY MAST'S GO, AND WHAT THREE SISE'S MM DO I US E???
BOY THIS ONE GOT ME BAFFOLDE!

I use GORILLA WOOD GLUE, WITH A GLUE APPLACATER, AND LOCTITE, THEY BOTH WORK, BUT THE LOCTITE IS A FINGER-STICKER, IF I HAVE TO BEND, I USE LOCTITE, FASTER DRYING TIME, FOR STRAIT PLANKS, MAST'S, AND OTHER STUFF [ON DECK] I USE GORILLA, AND IT DRIES IN ABOUT FIVE MIN, MABY LESS,[ NEVER TIMED IT. THEN WHEN ALL THE PLANKS ARE DRYED, FOR 3 DAYS, I THEN USE THAT KIDS SCHOOL GLUE,[THE PURPLE STUFF] SPRED IT WITH VERY LITTLE WATER ON MY FINGER," I SAY FINGHER, BECAUSE BY THE TIME IM FINISHED, I HAVE NO DRY FINGERS LEFT" JUST KIDDING, BUT THAT GLUE SEALES EVERYTHING NO PAINT SEEPS THREW, THAT JUST MY OPIN; BUT IT WORKS FOR ME. HOPE THIS HELPS!
Thanks for the info.

There are various types of PVA glue...choose one that is rated as “quick dry, high tack.” This type sticks more quickly and then dries more quickly reducing the clamp times. Such glues are more easily found in hobby craft stores.

Hallo @clarkj11
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @clarkj11
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I was of the PVA with occasional CA school.. but developed an allergy for CA.
So I tried contact glue for the second planking..and it was a revelation!
I was very apprehensive about not being able to move planks once they came in contact with the first layer,
so I did not let the glue dry completely before planking.
So.. cut/bend the planks to shape, put contact glue on the hull for 3-4 planks,
put 3-4 planks on some double sided tape to keep them in place, and put on the glue, careful to not
get glue on the 'good side'.
Let dry until the glue is still quite tacky.
Put on the planks, bit by bit, starting at one end, eyeing the right direction.
It is still possible to adjust the angle and make corrections. ...or tear off the whole plank if all goes wrong.

Not sure if I will use this method exclusively in the future, but for me it works really well.
(this way of planking is inspired by the Occre youtube video series, f.e. the for the Endurance kit.)

Back