Gluing Steamed Planks

I an almost ready to start the planking on the Donald David lobster boat and I an wondering how to make sure that the steamed planks are properly glued. I am worried that the wetted planks won't glue securely. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The planks are made of Western Ted Cedar and the keel & frames are white oak.
Happy Modeling.
Steven

I an almost ready to start the planking on the Donald David lobster boat and I an wondering how to make sure that the steamed planks are properly glued. I am worried that the wetted planks won't glue securely. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The planks are made of Western Ted Cedar and the keel & frames are white oak.
Happy Modeling.
Steven
If you are using CA, the moisture will not matter. But if you're using PVA, consider allowing the bent planks to fully dry before gluing. Some ahesives like moisture, some do not. Read the instructions for each before using.

Wow! That is an amazing model, Phil.
My model lobster boat will be an operating boat with radio control. Is CA OK for for boats in water?
I'm building and ready to plank my lobster, er... shark boat. Ca, especially gap filling ca will work fine for you. Also consider using ca accelerator. Place several planks before using the accelerator, then wait several day for the accelerator to dry. Accelerator is good stuff, but instantly cures any ca that touches it.

We used to use CA a lot in our RC sailboats with no problems, but they were fiberglass.
Don? Will coats of resin with out fiberglass separate or crack over time? Or would a resin covered planked hull hold up. I've always glassed, but wounder about just using resin as a final covering? It's a big hull. 56" long by 18" wide

Most of my hulls were just fiberglass, no wood. There was quite a few at the lake that were just resined though and they seemed to last. These things really don't get that much use, maybe once a week. They all used epoxy resin and most used West Systems 105/205 or 206.

Reactions: DCN
Happy Modeling.
Steven
I use Titebond III Ultimate wood glue (waterproof) Make sure wood is dry first , I rarely use CA glue because it turns brittle . Wood glue is for WOOD ! use tape to secure while drying , pins leave little hole in wood , clamps will work too.

Happy Modeling.
Steven
Hi Steven,
For my two cents worth, as Philski said allow the planks to dry out before gluing for a day or so.
On the glue front I prefer Titebond 3 my Drifter Trawler (also a working model) is almost entirely glued with it. I tend to avoid CA due to it's fumes although I am ok with it I do know people who have developed a severe sensitivity to the stuff.
Have you started a blog?

Cheers,
Stephen.

From my experience I wouldrecommned you let the planks dry thoroughly before gluing. If you do not, the planks will shrink and gaps in your planking will appear. Yes you can fill later but I feel this detracts from the finish. It takes a little longer but I do two to three planks at a time on each side (depending on your ship, the scale, the width of the planks). It also depends on the plank material too as each timber swells and shrinks a little differently when "steamed".
If you take the time to let the planks dry then you will get a great tight plank finish on your hull.

Thanks for al the kind responses! I am anxious about getting started with the planking, it has taken me about 30 years to get to the point of actually assembling some wood. I have been using titebond for many years in my regular wood working, so I am leaning towards staying with that for the lobster boat. Many thanks to all of the se responses, all of you have been very kind & helpful,
Happy Modelling.
Steven

Happy Modeling.
Steven
You must let the planks dry first. You should also stain them before you glue them if you are going to stain instead of paint.
I used a hot plank bending iron to dry my planks into the shape I wanted. If you don't use a bender then you will have to experiment with ways to hold them in the shape you want as they dry.

You must let the planks dry first. You should also stain them before you glue them if you are going to stain instead of paint.
I used a hot plank bending iron to dry my planks into the shape I wanted. If you don't use a bender then you will have to experiment with ways to hold them in the shape you want as they dry.
Some stains, especially oil-based, will interfere with glues. Try on scrap first!

Hallo @John Mitchell
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back