Golden Hind - 1:60 - scratch from F.Gay plans

As a young modeller I was always fascinated by galleons. When I moved into the wooden ship building one of the most important references here in Italy turned to be the Lusci's Ship Model Builder's Handbook. Spent a lot of time studying such monography with particular interest in the second section related to the relevant vessels since the ancient times. This is how I discovered the plans of F.Gay that depicted the Golden Hind galleon also with inner details.

Immagine 005.jpg

…so, I started this kit long ago, most probably in 2007 while the previous picture is dated 2008. Only few years ago I was able to complete the ship meanwhile I discovered the SoS forum and resources. My idea is to make anyway a WIP with the pictures I was able to collect just to show this work to all of you! :);). Do not be surprised if the work seems quick, indeed it took really much more time!!!! :p

Since I was really fascinated by the plans I discovered, my purpose just from the beginning was to partially show the interior of the ship at least from the hatches. Consequently you can see several frames already emptied. As far as the planking I used lime wood strips as a first substrate while the final one is with 1x4 walnut strips. The walnut strips have also some kind of a pattern just to avoid being the same strip all along the length of the whole hull.

Last edited:
In the below pictures a detail of the lower portion of the whole hull and the extremity of the stem. Such part was made from walnut while the keel was derived from plywood, a good one but not with the proper colour. My idea at the beginning was to paint white the lower hull and I did not pay too much attention to this. Only in a later stage such decision turned out to be a problem because I discard the option to paint the hull and the colour of the plywood keel was not pleasant

Immagine 002.jpg

Immagine 010.jpg

The extremity of the stem has been attached to the hull and I started working on the support beams of the bow walkaway. As you can see (black arrow) some planks are missing since they will protrude to the farthest extremity of the walkaway. In the picture it is also possible to see better how much the frames of the hull were emptied. A modelling technique to give strength to the hull is to apply several strips of medical bandage and to fix it with a proper glue. The UHU glue turned out to be very useful for the purpose.

Immagine 014.jpg

Back