GOLDEN HINDE by Canoe21 { Lawrence } Harold A Underhill Plans, Scale 1:60

Canoe21

Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I am about to start an Elizabethan Galleon, from the plans that I purchased from The Model Dockyard in Cornwall, UK. These are a set of Harold A Underhill's plans and are of no pacific ship but a set of very general Galleons. I believe that I will build this little ship in the line of the Golden Hind. As normal for me, I will not be trying to build an authentic replica of the real Golden Hind but that of an English Galleon in the times of Queen Elizabeth.

I have barely touched on the perimetry start of this build. So far top day I have scanned and printed the keel and hull forms. Now they must all be cut out and matted with their appropriate other halves and then taped together, not a big job but very time-consuming.

I will be trying to add around 12 LED Lights to this build, both on deck and below deck and in the ships holes. A first for me and I have been searching the web for a lot of information on these LED Lights, so it kind of looks like this will be a build in its self.

My Admiral Bernadette has eyed up the sails and she has very generously volunteered her services to sew me up a set.

I just got a letter from Alen who is from Northern England, who visited the Golden Hinde a few years ago saying that this replica is named the Golden Hinde and not the Golden Hind as I have previously named her. It seems that both spellings are correct, however since my Great Grand Father was named Captain Angus Hines a sea-faring Captain from Nova Scotia in the early 1900ths, I will rename my ship the Golden Hinde as it is much closer to his name

I will add a few pictures below of my plans for the new build the Golden Hind, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrenceeafec7100e9828ccaaf1848d11ae4260.jpgimg_4456.jpgimg_4461.jpgimg_4460.jpg

Last edited:
Lawrence

I am going to find that old deck chair and get it in the front row.

Looking forward to seeing you start the build.

Cheers
Geoff

Aussie048 said:
Lawrence

I am going to find that old deck chair and get it in the front row

Looking forward to seeing you start the build.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

I thank you very much for your visit to my new build log on the Golden Hind, You are always welcome in the OLD SHIP YARD, got lots of room the more the merrier, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

zoly99sask said:
Hi Lawrence,I watch your build log here too,good luck!!

Hello Zoltan

I thank you very much for your visit to my new build log on the Golden Hind. Please pull up a chair and join in on the show,
ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ship Mates

I want to thank you all for all of your visits to my new build log on the little Gallon the Golden Hind. For your very kind words and overly nice comments.

The little fellows and I have been working away on our plans for the hull frames and keel and it is slowly coming togeather. Last night my Admiral came in and after looking over my plans she looked at the sails and said that she could be working on those, so we got side tracked and started drawing them up from our plans. This AM I dug out her old light box that she uses for her stained glass projects and transferred them onto a piece of sail cloth and cut the first one out. Still, need to flatten it out with the clothes iron and glue the edges to stop the material from fraying as she sews it up,

ENJOY.

Regards
Lawrence

img_4462.jpgimg_4463.jpgimg_4464.jpgfrancis_drake_galleo_L7OSt.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see you starting on the Golden Hind Lawrence, I'll pull up a chair and hand out the rum.

Hello Gemma

I thank you very much for your visit to my new build log on the little Gallon the Golden Hind. I also thank you very much four your kind words and nice comments. I am pleased to have you on board and still have plenty of chairs in the Old Ship Yard. That was very nice of you to offer to tend the Rum barrel, please be very generous,
ENJOY.

Regards
Lawrence

Lawrence -- this looks good.

This will be an interesting build for me. Not a subject matter I know much. Best of luck and I will be watching.
It will be interesting to see a scratch build from the start.

Doug

Hello Doug

Welcome aboard my new build log on the little Galleon the Golden Hind. Your words and comments are always welcome here, Please pull up a chair and join in the fun of this fun build. Gemma is in charge of the Rum Barrow, don't be afraid to ask for seconds. Please stop by very often as you will find that the door to the Old Ship Yard is never closed,

ENJOY.

Regards
Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the Golden Hinde. For your very kind words and your ever so nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been going over our plans, trying to decide just how we want to build out little ship. I do believe that we do have things figured out and late yesterday we glued our pattern to the plywood and did cut out the center keel, still needs a bit of touch ups and the edges sanded to the line, that will come a bit later, ENJOY.

Regards LawrenceIMG_4465.thumb.jpg.79f25ebe83efc6c62c2ff73878795a57.jpg

Last edited:
Count me in too.

Donnie

Donnie said:
Count me in too.

Donnie
Hello Donnie

Welcome to my build log on the Golden Hinde. I am always pleased to have a new crew member on board, your words and comments are always welcome here. Please pull up a chair and join in on the fun of building this little ship. Please stop by very often as you will find that the door to the Old Ship Yard is never closed, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Lawrence

Great to see you make a start on Golden Hind. and looking forward to see the construction.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log. For your very kind words and overly nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have finally put our plywood to the old scroll saw and cut out all of our frames and her keel. We then ran them over our belt sander and then sanded the concave edges with our little Dremel mounted in the drill press. Now we must return to the scroll saw and saw our frames off at the first deck in order that we will be able to run our first deck in one long piece rather than many short pieces. We feel that this idea will work and if not then we must start over again, ENJOY.

Regards LawrenceIMG_4466.thumb.jpg.85340a517cff457d4ebb60423c239aeb.jpgIMG_4467.thumb.jpg.9a4379924b8183685672c2fcdc7db004.jpg

Last edited:
Aussie048 said:
Lawrence

Great to see you make a start on Golden Hind. and looking forward to see the construction.

Cheers
Geoff
Hello Geoff

I thank you for your visit to my build log and for your very kind words and comments. Well after a lot of fussing around we have finally started making sawdust. We are going to try a new procedure that we think will work and if not we are back to almost square 1 again, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Again I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log. For your very kind words and overly nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been busy dry fitting the frames to the keel and adjusting them for the lower deck that we soon must make a template to see just how things will fit togeather. Golden Hinde is the smallest ship I have ever worked at building and it sure does present a number of challenges, but we are moving ahead very slowly, ENJOY.
Regards LawrenceIMG_4469.thumb.jpg.1074cc9c64c02f6c7f302f3abd942542.jpg

Last edited:
Lawrence

Looks like you are progressing nicely on your build of the Golden Hinde and the dockyard is busy again.

Looking forward to future updates.

Cheers
Geoff

Aussie048 said:
Lawrence

Looks like you are progressing nicely on your build of the Golden Hinde and the dockyard is busy again.

Looking forward to future updates.

Cheers
Geoff
Hello Geoff

I thank you for your visit to my new build log on the Golden Hinde, for your very kind words and comments. Yes, we are moving ahead very slowly trying to figure out our plans as we go. With every little bit that we do, it seems to get simpler and make just a bit more sense, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Just WOW. can't wait to see more. Are you going to remove the paper templates?

Back