Good afternoon from Florida

My name is Jim Bennett. I need some advice in selecting a first wooden model ship. I have a well-equipped wood shop but little experience in modeling. I'm interested in a kit with easily understandable instructions and of fairly good size. Hoping for some direction here. Thanks so much.

Welcome aboard :) I'm totally new in the modeling world (apart from watching Victoria's Secret Angels) so I'm probably not the right person to give advise. That said, I have decided myself to join the current group builds as I hope it makes life easier building together with a lot of other guys out of which af few others may also be roookies. 2 of the group builds are Chinese kits.

My first wooden ship was a Boston Fishing Smack -

20201020_201958.jpg

This had an already formed hull (so no planking) but skill was necessary for the masts and a very good intro to the intricacies of rigging, knot tying and many other techniques. If you want to plank a model then jump right in, we are here to help you. Have a look at Cornwallmodelboats website, they give a rating as to levels of difficulty and it might help you decide. I'm currently building my second Caldercraft kit and find their plans very good. I also built a Panart kit and both the instructions and plans were abysmal to the point where they would probably put a beginner off for life. Keep us posted on what you decide upon and I hope you open up a build log. Cheers.

Check out the home page forums, I think there is a link to beginners model choices.

There in the help and general discussion forums are lots of good info for new builders to learn.

Once you have a ship kit in mind, use the search tool to check builders forums by ships name.

You may find others who have built the same kit and their blogs may be of help in getting your first build done.

My first solid hull kit was "the phantom" a wood hull that needed only final shaping and veneer planks added.

My first Plank on Bulkhead (POB) was the "The Swift" medium size boat that was not hard to complete.

aye the Vasa looks complicated. If you started with something like a single or double masted cutter - the 'Achilles' in the same series or the shipyard 'Mermaid' or the mamoli 'Hunter' - you would get to know planking (double skin means you get a second chance to sand and fix the first one), with a lesser amount of rigging and sails.

My name is Jim Bennett. I need some advice in selecting a first wooden model ship. I have a well-equipped wood shop but little experience in modeling. I'm interested in a kit with easily understandable instructions and of fairly good size. Hoping for some direction here. Thanks so much.
Hallo Jim,
Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Take a look ath the building logs we have here in our forum, you will see easily the difference.
I started (after some bad experience with cheaper kits) with Jotika / Caldercraft kits - very good quality, drawings and manuals.
Best is often to start with a one (maximum two) masted ship - reduced rigging

Hallo Jim alias @boatguy7
we wish you all the BEST and a Happy Birthday
Birthday-Cake

Back