Good kit for a beginner Muscongus Bay lobster smack

This kit was manufactured by Midwest Models, I built this kit about 25 years ago for my boss at work. We went sailing together many times on his 41' Hunter sailboat and when he asked me to build the kit I was eager to comply. It was my first plank on bulkhead wood kit and at first I was more than a little unsure about whether I could pull it off. But after about 9 months I brought the finished model to work and presented it to my boss. It stayed on his desk until he retired about 12 years ago. Last week I saw it on ebay for a very low price and decided to give it a second go around. It came in the mail today and after opening the box I realised why I was successful in building the model. All the parts are machine cut and the materials are all good quality. But the big reason for my success is the instruction booklet. It is 44 pages of instructions that are all specific to building this model. If all the other kit manufacturers followed this format there would be many more successful builds of wood ship model kits. Even though there are no photos all of the illustrations are well drawn and accompanied by clear concise text. OK, it is a very simple boat to start with but it contains most of the elements of larger more complicated ships. If it can be found I think it is an excellent model for a first build. Included with the images are a few pages of the instruction booklet. I will start a build log when I start the kit.

Attachments

• lobster boat 001.jpg
    lobster boat 001.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 117
  • lobster boat 002.jpg
    lobster boat 002.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 116
  • lobster boat 003.jpg
    lobster boat 003.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 115
  • lobster boat 004.jpg
    lobster boat 004.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 115
  • lobster boat 005.jpg
    lobster boat 005.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 115
  • lobster boat 006.jpg
    lobster boat 006.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 115
  • lobster boat 007.jpg
    lobster boat 007.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 115
  • lobster boat 009.jpg
    lobster boat 009.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 115
  • lobster boat 010.jpg
    lobster boat 010.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 115
  • lobster boat 011.jpg
    lobster boat 011.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 115
I started building this boat earlier in the year. As you say the instructions are very detailed and easy to follow. The main problem I had was with the Hull sides, these were Balsa wood, they had to be fitted over size and then trimmed down to size. This caused me no end of problems and I decided to plank over the Hull it was a bit of a mess. I look forward to seeing how you get on with it,
Cheers Andy

Back