Gout

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

I just experienced my first Gout. It is on the right side of foot. It is the 5th Metatarsal bone where there is a joint halfway down the foot. Worst pain. Went to Doc and he gave me 40mg of Prednisone after the now 5th day, it is still a little sensitive to touch with still a knot.

I just experienced my first Gout. It is on the right side of foot. It is the 5th Metatarsal bone where there is a joint halfway down the foot. Worst pain. Went to Doc and he gave me 40mg of Prednisone after the now 5th day, it is still a little sensitive to touch with still a knot.
High purines? Good ol' uric acid. Painful! They put me on allopurinol to take care of it. Haven't had gout in a long while...but other maladies still hang on.

Been there Donnie, ankles were my spot. Mine is fired up by red meat, shellfish, blue cheese and red wine. One guess what my favourite meal is...LOL. Allopurinol was also prescribed to me and does the trick.

We call that "jicht" very painful. Just only looking with your eyes to your foot causes pain.
Leave the alcohol for a few weeks

Allopurinol manages uric acid levels in the blood and can mitigate long term risk of gout flareups. It doesn’t treat acute painful gouty arthritis. That requires anti-inflammatories like prednisone, indomethacin or even NSAIDs.
Last time I went to the foot doctor, he gave me a steroid injection right into the joint of my big toe. Worked well.

Hi Doc,
I was given prednisone (40mg for 5 days) and then I also have some indomethacin on hand. The gout as of today (two weeks and a few days) has finally nearly all gone. My Uric level was 6.1 mg / dL

Now as I have posted another problem, just learned today I have posterior Vitreous Retinal Detachment. ( I was seeing weird flickering lights in corner vision ) - but the flickering is gone now, but have a pretty bad floater left over from it.

Hi Doc,
I was given prednisone (40mg for 5 days) and then I also have some indomethacin on hand. The gout as of today (two weeks and a few days) has finally nearly all gone. My Uric level was 6.1 mg / dL

Now as I have posted another problem, just learned today I have posterior Vitreous Retinal Detachment. ( I was seeing weird flickering lights in corner vision ) - but the flickering is gone now, but have a pretty bad floater left over from it.
Damn Donnie! I have floaters and had cataract surgery in both eyes. After which I had a retinal tear that had to be repaired with a laser. Most painful thing I've ever experienced.
Hope your opthalmologist can fix you right up! Stay strong and stay safe!

Last edited:
Lightning flashes in the corner of your eyes. That's a "getting older" thing. It only is dangerous when it doesn't go away after a while. You also getting mouches volantes? Little flies in your vision moving around in your sightfield. They stay forever but you get use to them and after a while, you don't notice them anymore.

Hi Doc,

Dear Donnie
I wish you complete healing and that the rheumatism will pass soon. When I was a student I did research on propolis as an ancient remedy for rheumatism and today it is a product in pharmacies. Of course the profits are not mine:p:cool:

...You also getting mouches volantes? Little flies in your vision moving around in your sightfield. They stay forever but you get use to them and after a while, you don't notice them anymore.

I think I started with those 22+ years ago. On my 40's. Nothing you can do about it. And as Steef66 wrote, I almost do not see them now. But occasionally I see one passing my sight field and I said "Hi, how are you doing" ...... :)

Cheers
Daniel

I suffer gout from time to time.
I live by the sea in Spain where to eat seafood is almost mandatory so often get flare-ups.
I find that an Antalgin 550mg usually deals with it. (Naproxen). We can buy it over the counter here in Spain but perhaps that is not possible in the States.
I only take one because anti-inflammatories and my blood thinners don't go together too well, or so I am told.

I was first diagnosed with Gout in my early thirties.I had been on Allopurinol for a number of years and stopped using it to no real ill effect due to improving my diet, giving up drinking and smoking.
I had what I and the doctor thought was a bad flare up earlier this year that would not go away despite two spouts of Colchicine and one course of Prednisone.X rays later and further examination revealed I have full blown Arthritis in my feet.He did say that is strange,Arthritis normally starts in your hands,one look at my hands and he confirmed what I knew already,I also have it in my hands.

Old age sometimes comes with ailments. And not always in a gentle way. Three years ago I was diagnosed with arthritis throughout my body. Mainly in my hands, shoulders and back. In time, this caused fibromyalgia. And last Monday I was told that my back is so worn that I have a double hernia. I will tell you that Sister Morphine of the Rolling Stones took on a different meaning. That's the main reason I sometimes can't work on my ship the Prins Willem as much I want. But I keep my head up, and listen to the Stones to shear up.

A natural remedy for gout that works for me when it flares up is cherries, believe it or not. Usually clears a flare-up within a day or so. Worth a try, especially if you like cherries ;). Fresh seem to work best but frozen if fresh not available.

Glenn

My first gout i experienced in 2009 because of eating to much shrimps ,meat and fat cheese and drinking red wine and beer .The conditions forced me at these day to behave like this,result i wake up in late night with a giant thicknes an awfull aches in my big toes.I phoned a very good friend of mine a surgeon (now retired) and he said ı got the rich peoples' illness. His immediate recommendation was 180 ml Prednol ampuls for intra muscular injection ,1 tab Naprosyn Forte 750 mg to decrease the edema and to usage of Colchicum Dispert (Plant Based)for a long period 2 tabs per day and of course resting my foot.Within 2 days every thing was normal again. I continued taking the colchicum dispert tabs and also ureacoliz tabs (1 per day each).
Within next 6 years I had 2 times gout attacks again.The same way of application of these medicines broght me on the foot again.Thanks God since that time it never happened again.My advice is take care of what you're eating and drinking and drink minimum 3 liters water daily. I hope you are allready well again .
It is a privilage getting old but you have to stand steady , fight and resist to the problems without loosing your courage and belief.

Kind Regards and Healthy Days to You and to All Members of the CommunityPirate Flag:)

A natural remedy for gout that works for me when it flares up is cherries, believe it or not. Usually clears a flare-up within a day or so. Worth a try, especially if you like cherries ;). Fresh seem to work best but frozen if fresh not available.

Glenn
I heard this, tried it and found I have an allergy to cherries:rolleyes:

Back