Grating's correct height

Wondering.... should a grating be higher than the deck itself, in order to avoid water entering the deck beneath, or is it correct the opposite? That is to be level with the deck in order to let water go down and also not to be a kind of step obstacle for the crew that moves on the deck?

Dave is explaining it very well and complete. Definitely higher than the deck level

Half of the mentioned heights - I have to check in the books, but I would say between 10 to 15 cm

This is what Brian Lavery is writing:

"Coamings and hatches varied considerably in height, according to the size of the ship and their position. They could be as high as 12in on a large ship, and as small as 3in on a sloop or brig. By the late eighteenth century, much higher coamings were fitted on the gundeck than on other decks, as water was much more likely to come through the ports of that deck. The head ledges had a slightly greater camber than the deck itself, by about 1 1/2in"

I have observed that the grating height will depend on the Nation building the vessel. The French gratings are at deck level, while the English and American grates are elevated.

Bob

Thank you Bob. That changes everything now for me. Am building an 18th century French Frigate. Ofcourse the kit's instructions are showing it elevated.

Christos

I have observed that the grating height will depend on the Nation building the vessel. The French gratings are at deck level, while the English and American grates are elevated.

Bob
Hallo Bob,
when I take a look at the plansets of french vessels, which have and already made some planset reviews, the gratings are also elevated, like the english ships.
I made some copies of these vessels where you can see the gratings in the cross sections, also f.e. the La Renomee - frigate.

IMG_13711.jpg IMG_15281.jpg IMG_21131.jpg

@Messis :
which frigate you are working on?
Maybe you can show us your work........

I forgot, that you built the Hermione. and checked the drawing set by Jean Claude Lemineur

IMG_154311.jpg

this is a cross section of the ship, showing the elevated gratings

Also the replica ships has them elevated. I was visiting her in Rochefort last October.

@Uwek thanks again dear friend. Undoubtedly the drawings confirm that we do have an elevation.

Just for the record the picture below is taken.by me two years ago as I went to Rochefort... the grating on the upper deck is not elevated. Still I trust more the drawings you have just posted.

Christos20170504_152242.jpg

@Uwek thanks again dear friend. Undoubtedly the drawings confirm that we do have an elevation.

Just for the record the picture below is taken.by me two years ago as I went to Rochefort... the grating on the upper deck is not elevated. Still I trust more the drawings you have just posted.

ChristosView attachment 100745
I checked the photos of a friend of mine, who posted more photos in the german forum. (The visit in Rochefort last October was organized by this forum)
Your photo is misleading a little bit, and you will see why:

f341t7012p153820n4_qkuBNRQb.jpg
This is the group - the german / austrian delegation of the international convention - (I am the fourth from the right)

f341t7012p153814n15_wpghHNbu.jpg

f341t7012p153814n40_dxeTlILQ.jpg

f341t7012p153817n3_jyKYzInM.jpg

f341t7012p153815n19_jTkHgLqE.jpg

Some more photos you can find on the german forum (many thanks to Daniel from whom I borrowed the photos):

@Uwek yes! You are right, my photo was misleading. Anyway now I am 100% sure... you was right from the beginning, the drawings indeed were correct (I told you that at the time) and there is an elevation in the french ships as well .

As @DocBlake wrote above: "Batten down the hatches !

Christos

Oh wie shoen! Ich hatte in die siebziger jahren an der Rwth in Aachen studiert. Hatte 10 jahren lang studiert und weiter studiert, bis 1987, dass Ich auch zugereist bin, aber umgekehrt als du, um zueruck nach hause zu kommen. "Nach hause" sei Zypern...

Back