Great Republic 1853, 1/128 Extreme Clipper Barque by Rwiederrich [COMPLETED BUILD]

This will be a wonderful place for her - I am crossing the fingers, that she will fit in completely (with all masts and yards)

OH..she will fit...she has 3" clearance in front and back...…..3" on top and 2" per side. She'll slip right in nicely.

Thanks for all the nice likes everyone.....

Rob

rob - sad to say but Taubman plans says that the 1/48 nightingale plans are no longer available- was the only one I ever found in 1/48 scale

will blow up challenge plans to 1/48 along with champion of the seas

Webb's *Challenge* or McKay's *Champion of the Seas*. The *Challenge* has a very interesting history...she never amounted to much under her cautious captains.... though her owners had great hopes.
I'm looking forward to what ever ship you are going to build.
I will return to the *Glory of the Seas* once I'm finished with the Great Republic.

Rob

Dude, your sails are TOP NOTCH!!! Most of us won't even attempt sails.. much less on a clipper!! How bold!!!

Thanks so very much. I experimented with paper sails when I put them on my 1/96 Ferreira. Once the sail is cut, paneled and clue's are added a simple light coat of paint holds them in roughly the position you want...until you mount them.
Go back and read my process....it is quite easy and you can easily keep it to scale. Plus paper is realistically translucent.
I've built many clippers and this is only the second with paper sails....being the largest clipper ever made and a four masted Bark...it required sails to retain the majesty of clippers.

Rob

Absolutely beautiful. Sails are the hardest part - I think - and to do them out of paper - simply brilliant.

Thanks Jim. Paper holds its form quite well and is easily painted to mimic weathered sails. Once painted it is a simple task to install the bunt lines and then add the reef points to the belly bands. My technique, mounts the sails while the mast is off the model...allowing for a much easier way to do the install and add the details. Paper is near scale and is quite stable.
Again.....thanks for the fine compliments.

Rob

Unfortunately...my chosen display location just would not work. The case is so big it just gobbled up far to much of the room....so I changed gears and decided to relocate the case on a built in next to the stove. I have it simply resting here...but I will build a base for it to sit on that will raise the case about 8".
It's not ideal, but the *flow* of the room is not destroyed and it is still a library...NOT a model display room.
Still working on the model and need to work on the starboard side shrouds. Just wanted to get the case ready for that day.

I'll post images when I get the base built and painted.

RobIMG_9313_JPG_6408e2de39f40375be119103efdc8cab.jpgIMG_9312_JPG_1e44342c11b2d7581d275b184c1b2d24.jpg

have you started posting build of western shore ?

Randy....I began one over on MSW with the building of her deck...while I was in contact with Steve Priskie...the model shipwright who discovered her wonderful existence and history in Coos Bay Oregon. He was to provide me with hand drawings of her hull, but has since had a run of family issues and I have not talked to him for some time. Needless to say, the build came to a sudden halt. I hope to rekindle our conversations and one day pick up where I left off on the Western Shore. Her history is so amazing.

Rob

good to hear you started it but I wont be going back to MSW anymore- extremely poor treatment by a staff member overthere

Back