Greetings form the Netherlands!

Hello, I am Ronald and I like to introduce myself to this community. I am 49 years old and already for a long time a hugh fan of modelling ship's. Not that I made a lot of them, I eighter have not enough time or I work to slow :)
From all the projects I did only a few are worth mentioning. The first one is de San Juan Nepomuceno. A kit I started in 2003, and finally it is almost done. Just a few sails...
20201105_213648.jpg

The second one I started as a study-project, my first scratchbuild... It is the russian cruiser Aurora. This one takes still a bit more work but is very educating..
IMG-20201105-WA0024.jpeg

I have a plan to, somewhere in the future, start the Commerce de Marseille (already known and build in this forum) in 1:48 scale. I have no idea if I will be succesfull but that is the challenge.... I hope to learn the necessary skills from all of you, have already seen a lot of interesting log's....

Last edited:
Hallo Ronald,
sending you a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum.
Your San Juan Nepomuceno is really looking good. Interesting the "jump" to the Aurora, I guess it is the protected Cruiser which is still existing and moored in St.Petersburg, or?
Interesting also the plan to build the Commerce......
I am very happy, that you have found our forum, and we are all looking forward to see your work, maybe in a building log of your actual project...... you could start also from the actual status.
Once more - WELCOME

Hallo Ronald,
Your San Juan Nepomuceno is really looking good. Interesting the "jump" to the Aurora, I guess it is the protected Cruiser which is still existing and moored in St.Petersburg, or?
I am very happy, that you have found our forum, and we are all looking forward to see your work, maybe in a building log of your actual project...... you could start also from the actual status.
Once more - WELCOME
I was on the Aurora a few years ago when I was in St. Petersburg.

Hallo Ronald,
Once more - WELCOME
Hallo, Uwek,
Thank you for the welcome. I started the Aurora as a studyproject.... I wanted to know how far I could get with a scratch-build. So I started with minimum budget and created the hull with some fence-wood :) Along the way I learned some things like making brass propellers which I was particularly proud of. However, it is not finished yet but I think I am ready with building with wood on this model. The rest will be styrene and brass or copper. The San Juan Nepomuceno I started in 2003, so al long time ago, and I know I would build it differently with the knowledge I know now. It is almost ready, like a wrote just some sails. After that I want to finish the Aurora which is, ofcourse, something entirely different from the San Juan. However, I like the old galleons so much I wanted a project which combines building a galleon, and do it from scratch. Furthermore, I like to challenge myself so I want to pick a project I probably will not be able to make with the knowledge and experience I have at this moment, so we'll see what the next project will be. I like the commerce and I like the big scale (too big for my house anyway) and I'll see how far I can get with this project...

Last edited:
Hallo Ronald,

I was on the Aurora a few years ago when I was in St. Petersburg.
Hello Jay, Yes me too. Very interesting but it was a pity that what is visible on the inside for visitors is far from original. The outside however was very nice to see, and ofcourse far more important if you want to make a model of it...

Welcome Ronald, exciting project you have started, I follow, greetings-

Hello, I am Ronald and I like to introduce myself to this community. I am 49 years old and already for a long time a hugh fan of modelling ship's. Not that I made a lot of them, I eighter have not enough time or I work to slow :)
From all the projects I did only a few are worth mentioning. The first one is de San Juan Nepomuceno. A kit I started in 2003, and finally it is almost done. Just a few sails...

The second one I started as a study-project, my first scratchbuild... It is the russian cruiser Aurora. This one takes still a bit more work but is very educating..

I have a plan to, somewhere in the future, start the Commerce de Marseille (already known and build in this forum) in 1:48 scale. I have no idea if I will be succesfull but that is the challenge.... I hope to learn the necessary skills from all of you, have already seen a lot of interesting log's....
Hallo Ronald alias @Ronald
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

How is the work on your amazing Aurora going on?

Back