Greetings from Alexandria Virginia, USA.

I just joined this group and would like to introduce myself. I am a lifelong modeler that builds all kinds of models both for personal use and for clients. I have built some ship models in the past. I attached some example photos. The first is a sub chaser I scratch built for a local museum for their 100 Anniversary of WWI exhibit. They built 20 of those ships in Alexandria during WWI.

I also included a photo of a cargo container ship I built using the hull from a Deans Marine kit and scratch building the rest. That was for a model railroad layout to support a book I wrote for Kalmbach Publishing (now Kalmbach Media) on Marine Terminals. I also built a 1/160th scale Pungy schooner for another museum exhibit.

I currently working on several ship models for my 1/48th scale model railroad that is set in the American Civil War. I am depicting the US Army's harbor at Aquia Landing in March 1863. I plan to have several ship models as part of the scene. I have completed a model of the car ferry used by the railroad (see photo.)
You can learn more about my layout on my blog at www.usmrr.blogspot.com

I have several ship kits that I plan to use on the layout as well as some scratch building. They include the Smuggler by Blue Jacket and the Swift by Artesania Latina. I started a model of the ironclad monitor US Passaic, but it is not finished. I also have a copy of the Dumas Mt Washington, but that kit has been a struggle. I may end up scratch building it instead. I have a lot to learn about sailing ship models so I am excited to see what you all build.

Bernard Kempinski
Alexandria, VA

PioneerMills1.jpgAquiaLandingW.jpgDanicaMarie.jpgFINISHED MODEL03.jpg

IMG_8455.jpg

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
Your diorama are looking very realistic - very good work
Hope to see more of your work - ships and dios.......

I am speechless and amazed by your diorama. It is hard to believe it is not real!! How did you make the water look so realistic?

The base of the water surface is masonite hardboard. I painted it a dark navy blue. At the shore line I faded the shore color into the dark blue. On top of the masonite is a layer of two part resin called Magic Water. I poured the whole 4 by 14 foot water surface in one layer.

Bernard,
Your dioramas/railroad layouts are marvelous. I am also a rail fan and always had a notion of doing a rail layout. I love how you have melded both ships and railroads. You mentioned you were struggling with. Dumas Mt Washington. I just picked up a kit and I am curious what your experience has been so far?

I added a new ship model to the harbor on my model railroad. This is a waterline version of the Bluejacket Smuggler kit built by my friend Brion Boyles on commission. The scene is still a work in progress but the ship model is a great addition. I have several other ships planned and in construction, There is more detail on my blog at A Forest of Masts and Stacks.View attachment 337712
I just can't believe this is a model. Incredible!

The kit is oriented toward RC use, not fine scale Model. The assembly is made more complex by the need for removable access to the interior. The instructions have phrases like,”if the parts don’t fit, don’t worry, it’s just a toy.“ I work on the kit for a few days, get frustrated and put it aside for 2 years. It has taken me over ten years and i have barely made any progress. i probably would have been better off scratch building the model as I am having to remake all the parts using my laser cutter.

I built their WWI subchaser kit for a museum a few years ago. and ended up scratch building that too Vice using the kit parts. I have seen people make nice models with the kit but so far it has eluded me.

Bernard,
Thanks for your comments. This is why I love this forum. Lots of good experience and advice. I just received the Mt Wash kit and was planning not to make it an RC build. When I look at it more closely I will do so with an eye on kit bashing. So far I had a feeling that I would be tossing the vacuum form walls and other details for scratch build parts…. TjM

Bernard,
Thanks for your comments. This is why I love this forum. Lots of good experience and advice. I just received the Mt Wash kit and was planning not to make it an RC build. When I look at it more closely I will do so with an eye on kit bashing. So far I had a feeling that I would be tossing the vacuum form walls and other details for scratch build parts…. TjM
Think OUTSIDE the box. Can you glue wood veneer strips to the vacuum formed hull to improve its appearance? What if you use the plastic hull as a form, and create a wooden hull on its surface, and maybe remove the plastic hull later, or perhaps just leave it in place to act as a water barrier for the protection of the motors and controls inside?

Think OUTSIDE the box. Can you glue wood veneer strips to the vacuum formed hull to improve its appearance? What if you use the plastic hull as a form, and create a wooden hull on its surface, and maybe remove the plastic hull later, or perhaps just leave it in place to act as a water barrier for the protection of the motors and controls inside?
The hull is one of the better parts. The vacu-formed cabin walls and the sponsons need a lot if work. The rest of the kit is mostly scale lumber and some cast details.

The kit is oriented toward RC use, not fine scale Model. The assembly is made more complex by the need for removable access to the interior. The instructions have phrases like,”if the parts don’t fit, don’t worry, it’s just a toy.“ I work on the kit for a few days, get frustrated and put it aside for 2 years. It has taken me over ten years and i have barely made any progress. i probably would have been better off scratch building the model as I am having to remake all the parts using my laser cutter.

I built their WWI subchaser kit for a museum a few years ago. and ended up scratch building that too Vice using the kit parts. I have seen people make nice models with the kit but so far it has eluded me.
Bernard, what laser cutter do you use?

I have a 40W Epilog Fusion. This is the third Epilog laser cutter I have had over the past 15 years. I use the laser quite a bit for my custom model business.

That is a nice laser cutter. Thanks for the info. I recently acquired a Bryne table saw and am thinking this would be a good kit to break it in redoing the cabin elements. We shall see. Thanks.

Back