Greetings from an almost novice in static ship modeling: Morgan63

Hello to all the immense SOS community. My name is Giorgio and I live in Turin, Italy. I am 60 years old and have been interested in static naval modeling for many years. The naval historical period that I love most is the 16th and 17th century with a nod to the 18th century.
I don't have many models under my belt. My passion was born with a plastic model of the Colombo Pinta caravel by Heller. Then I started with wood (a material that I particularly love, for its scent) with the HMS Bounty of Aeropiccola (a Turin modeling company, in vogue in the 1970s), where I started to come across my first hull wrapping with 1.5mm lime strips and using the flame of a candle (how many strip burns at the beginning), then I started to use immersing them in water and then drying them into shape with the Areopiccola electric strip heater. Then I moved on to build the Kon Tiki raft from scratch with makeshift materials, taking the construction elements directly from the photographs in the book by the Norwegian explorer and writer Thor Heyerdahl on his expedition in 1947 across the Pacific Ocean from South America to the islands of Polynesia.
So I took the kit from DeAgostini's collection of installments on the Medici Galleon S. Giovanni Battista, which my research later turned out to be the version remade by Dudley in the Medici Galleon Livorno of 1606. This is what I'm carrying out now. Since I like to make a single layer of hull plating (old school), I am analyzing various methods exposed in many forums and the one I like most of all is Chuck Passaro's.
I discovered the true scale of the model, which is 1:73, and I also discovered several out-of-scale errors in the model which I therefore have to correct. Lastly, I'm also thinking about how to furnish the interior of the admiral's and petty officers' cabin, as well as the sailors' cabin. Who knows if I will ever succeed. I'm currently reading the blog: "Occre - HMS Revenge 1577 - scale 1/85, 2nd build and why" by Richie. Here I also spoke with kirill4 about a series of links he put on some documents, which unfortunately I can't access because they are Russians... because of this horrendous war between Russia and her sister Ukraine:-((

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Back