Greetings from Denmark

Hello all ship yard owners and other good folk.

I'm relatively new to shipbuilding and wood, but have been building models for many years in both plastic and brass. I have been following this forum for a while, and read a few build logs from top to bottom, and a few of them more than once. Especially https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-1-65-deagostini-completed-build.5904 has been read more than one. I'm amazed by the quality of craftmanship and helpfulness that you all put into this place. I believe that there is many more hours of studying in these forums as I come along with my builds. Right now I take one (baby)step at a time.

After I got divorced a few years ago, I decided to go forth with one of my childhood dreams and build a big ship. I always had a soft spot for the Danish trainingsship Danmark, so I bought this. I want to build this as it looked in '68 when my father was a cadet onboard. The kit originates from about the same time and the fittingskit also has the correct representation of datits and boats. I'm not sure that there is enough boats though, but fortunately Billing can still deliver spare boats. At the moment I'm near the planking stage, and I'm terrified to do this because of my own expectations of a good looking job. Luckily the real ship has a steel hull covers in a nice layer of white paint, but.. The are hundreds if not thousands of rivets. This build has been on hold though, because one of the bulkheads had moved 2.5mm aft in one side, causing the main deck plate to snap. It too me a while to figure out how to debond the glue an realign the bulkhead. By accident I found that methanol and brute force did the job, so next time I can come near my workspace Danmark can have its main deck in place.

While Danmark has been on hold I started Norske Løve. Mainly inspired by @Dean62's build log. As this is a lasercut kit, I thought that it would almost snap together, bit my dreams didn't come true. I have made some minor booboos on the hull so far, but will look into correcting it. It lies at the same stage as Danmark at the moment.

My experience with Billing Boats so far is that parts needs to be checked more than twice before the bottle of glue comes near it. The so-called instructions are merely a sort of guideline. But if you read the text, look at the plans, read the text, look at the parts list, look at the plans... and so forth, you eventually get a picture of what you might get to look as the ship on the box.

Keep up the good work everybody. I will for sure ask for advise during my builds.

Welcome! Large models are easier to build than small ones. Please create a build log for your Danmark.
You might be right there. As I see it, the larger the model is, more details can be put into it.

Can also be done on smaller models, only in smaller scale.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hello all ship yard owners and other good folk.

I'm relatively new to shipbuilding and wood, but have been building models for many years in both plastic and brass. I have been following this forum for a while, and read a few build logs from top to bottom, and a few of them more than once. Especially https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-1-65-deagostini-completed-build.5904 has been read more than one. I'm amazed by the quality of craftmanship and helpfulness that you all put into this place. I believe that there is many more hours of studying in these forums as I come along with my builds. Right now I take one (baby)step at a time.

After I got divorced a few years ago, I decided to go forth with one of my childhood dreams and build a big ship. I always had a soft spot for the Danish trainingsship Danmark, so I bought this. I want to build this as it looked in '68 when my father was a cadet onboard. The kit originates from about the same time and the fittingskit also has the correct representation of datits and boats. I'm not sure that there is enough boats though, but fortunately Billing can still deliver spare boats. At the moment I'm near the planking stage, and I'm terrified to do this because of my own expectations of a good looking job. Luckily the real ship has a steel hull covers in a nice layer of white paint, but.. The are hundreds if not thousands of rivets. This build has been on hold though, because one of the bulkheads had moved 2.5mm aft in one side, causing the main deck plate to snap. It too me a while to figure out how to debond the glue an realign the bulkhead. By accident I found that methanol and brute force did the job, so next time I can come near my workspace Danmark can have its main deck in place.

While Danmark has been on hold I started Norske Løve. Mainly inspired by @Dean62's build log. As this is a lasercut kit, I thought that it would almost snap together, bit my dreams didn't come true. I have made some minor booboos on the hull so far, but will look into correcting it. It lies at the same stage as Danmark at the moment.

My experience with Billing Boats so far is that parts needs to be checked more than twice before the bottle of glue comes near it. The so-called instructions are merely a sort of guideline. But if you read the text, look at the plans, read the text, look at the parts list, look at the plans... and so forth, you eventually get a picture of what you might get to look as the ship on the box.

Keep up the good work everybody. I will for sure ask for advise during my builds.
Hallo @Kedde
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back