Greetings from Maine

Greetings. I'm Ed and I started modeling around 1969. I finished a MS Privateer, a scratch built Pinky Schooner and started various others. My work came to a stop in 1975 when my wife and I bought a 32' sailboat and prepared to liveaboard. Now after some 40+ years I am back ashore part time and looking forward to getting back to my own shipyard.

There have been A LOT of changes since I last handled an X-Acto knife and I have been awestruck by the work I have seen on SOS. Laser cutting has put POB and POF within the reach of mortals. Casting and computer routing have seriously improved the quality of fittings, it really is kind of intimidating to come into after all these years.

It is with some trepidation that I include some old and rather poor images of my previous efforts:

Privateer (Pride of Baltimore).jpg
My MS Privateer was really kit bashed and the brass cannon were all turned on my Unimat. (with advice and assistance by a machinist friend) I hope never to have to do that again!

It was traded to a marina owner in lieu of annual dockage.

Years later I received a tour of the similar Pride of Baltimore by her first mate whom I had originally met in the Maine aboard one of the schooner fleet.

Scratch Pinky.jpgScratch Pinky-4.jpg

This Pinky Schooner was a fun model. I took the plans from a book by C.G.Davis if memory serves. The hull was carved from a solid block. You can see the cabin top next to the stand at the bow.

Before moving on our boat it was traded to a friend for a Pocket Sextant. Its nice that I can visit the model occasionally!

Half Hull.jpg
This is half hull I made for the surveyor that helped us find our first boat. It is about 7 inches long. It is the Lizzie M Stanley, 1901 and was known to the surveyor. My work In Photoshop has squashed the hull a bit. You can see the plan on Plate 94 in The American Fishing Schooners by H.I. Chappelle. A beautiful hull.

Sultana-0.jpgSultana-2.jpg
This MS Sultana model has waited patiently all these years and is now about to resume her refit. The first photo is from the 70's and the second is her present state. I am currently working on wooden decorations for the rail ends. I am having difficulty getting something I like as I intend to leave the rails "bright".

As you can see I enjoy smaller scales and I am not a stickler for historical accuracy, the model just has to look good and represent a vessel of the time.

I look forward to finding many friends among the vast number of talented modelers on Ships of Scale.

Ed Seling

Greetings. I'm Ed and I started modeling around 1969. I finished a MS Privateer, a scratch built Pinky Schooner and started various others. My work came to a stop in 1975 when my wife and I bought a 32' sailboat and prepared to liveaboard. Now after some 40+ years I am back ashore part time and looking forward to getting back to my own shipyard.

There have been A LOT of changes since I last handled an X-Acto knife and I have been awestruck by the work I have seen on SOS. Laser cutting has put POB and POF within the reach of mortals. Casting and computer routing have seriously improved the quality of fittings, it really is kind of intimidating to come into after all these years.

It is with some trepidation that I include some old and rather poor images of my previous efforts:

View attachment 241048
My MS Privateer was really kit bashed and the brass cannon were all turned on my Unimat. (with advice and assistance by a machinist friend) I hope never to have to do that again!

Years later I received a tour of the similar Pride of Baltimore by her first mate whom I had originally met in the Maine aboard one of the schooner fleet.

View attachment 241049View attachment 241050

This Pinky Schooner was a fun model. I took the plans from a book by C.G.Davis if memory serves. The hull was carved from a solid block. You can see the cabin top next to the stand at the bow.

Before moving on our boat it was traded to a friend for a Pocket Sextant. Its nice that I can visit the model occasionally!

View attachment 241051
This is half hull I made for the surveyor that helped us find our first boat. It is about 7 inches long. It is the Lizzie M Stanley, 1901 and was known to the surveyor. My work In Photoshop has squashed the hull a bit. You can see the plan on Plate 94 in The American Fishing Schooners by H.I. Chappelle. A beautiful hull.

View attachment 241052View attachment 241053
This MS Sultana model has waited patiently all these years and is now about to resume her refit. The first photo is from the 70's and the second is her present state. I am currently working on wooden decorations for the rail ends. I am having difficulty getting something I like as I intend to leave the rails "bright".

As you can see I enjoy smaller scales and I am not a stickler for historical accuracy, the model just has to look good and represent a vessel of the time.

I look forward to finding many friends among the vast number of talented modelers on Ships of Scale.

Ed Seling
Hallo Ed
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum :cool:
I am looking forward to see your work on the Sultana here in abuilding log - would be interesting to see

Для полувекового (50-летнего) случая это выглядит потрясающе. Буду рад понаблюдать за вашей стройкой. И да, добро пожаловать на борт SOS

google translation:
For a half-century (50-year) case, this looks amazing. I will be glad to watch your construction site. And yes, welcome aboard the SOS

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 241048

View attachment 241049View attachment 241050

View attachment 241051

View attachment 241052View attachment 241053

Ed Seling
Hallo Ed alias @Sailor_ed
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day
Birthday-Cake

Welcome aboard.
Just pull out that old exacto knife…sharpen it and you are ready yo go.
You have a great set of trophies there with the models you have built.
What will it be next?

Back