Greetings from Minnesota

I'm 74,did lots of modeling as a kid. I'm a retired U of Mn mechanic. Life long motorhead and motorcyclist. Like to finish at least one big boat b4 I croak. Over the years had many drawings of sailing and war ships but never got around to do any. About a decade back bought plans of USS Alaska eventually decided too complex in detail. 4 or 5 yrs back decided on a Great Lakes Freighter. A workmate had served on the Edward Reyerson and got me interested in his favorite the Cliffs Victory. The only highly modified victory ship ever on the lakes that I know of. I made a carved foam hull covered with epoxy and glass but never got farther. My bikes get prepped for Spring by Christmas so Winter is open for fiddling. Web surfing last week found several rc Lakers including a Victory. So I'm here to try and get going on it. Thank you for letting me join, John Pierson-Champlin,Mn

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum

Welcome the forum! I am also from Minnesota, in Ramsey which is near Anoka, NW of Minnepolis. I'm a former US Merchant Marine, and can offer lots of information on cargo ships of all types. Let me know if you want to talk about ships sometime over the phone or in person. Oh, and I ride motorcycles too! Whatcha got?

Hi Kurt, we are very close. I ride 3- "00 SV650, '02 Ninja 250, '15 Ninja 300. I was a CRA racer in the 70s so like apex strafing. My Wife's family is from Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. We visit every year. Her paternal grandmother lived a block from Bay Shipbuilding so we got to see several thousand footers built and many others in for repair or wintering.

Thanx for greetings. I have recently found 3 RC forums to join also. After viewing some of your groups models I'll certainly be returning here for detail ideas. Basically my boat will be a runner but once operable adding more detail will probably follow. My first step w the RC folks was questioning about motor rpm for the scale prop. Also found some polypropylene for decking. GJ

I'm 74,did lots of modeling as a kid. I'm a retired U of Mn mechanic. Life long motorhead and motorcyclist. Like to finish at least one big boat b4 I croak. Over the years had many drawings of sailing and war ships but never got around to do any. About a decade back bought plans of USS Alaska eventually decided too complex in detail. 4 or 5 yrs back decided on a Great Lakes Freighter. A workmate had served on the Edward Reyerson and got me interested in his favorite the Cliffs Victory. The only highly modified victory ship ever on the lakes that I know of. I made a carved foam hull covered with epoxy and glass but never got farther. My bikes get prepped for Spring by Christmas so Winter is open for fiddling. Web surfing last week found several rc Lakers including a Victory. So I'm here to try and get going on it. Thank you for letting me join, John Pierson-Champlin,Mn
Hallo @Guzzijohn
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back