Greetings from northern Ohio

Hello! I am a complete beginner to this new world of wood model ship building and very happy to have found this forum. I got the bug decades ago from a friend’s father whose tiny living room was stuffed with at least 6 ships of the line he built. Finally decided all these years later to start. I actually began on a cheap Harvey kit from Amazon which was a huge mistake but I’m still slowly working on it. I’m counting my “first” model to be the Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks dory…model 1 of the 3 model Shipwright series kit that I bought over holiday along with the Carronade kit and the OcCre Polaris and OcCre Bounty Launch.

At some point I hope to share a proper build-log for one of these starter builds but I’m a bit too far in with the dory. For now, here is a photo of my cave/workshop/shipyard where I happily get to spend an hour or so if the opportunity presents itself. It ain’t much (6ft by 12ft space in the basement), it ain’t pretty (really should have painted the walls before I set everything up), but it’s all mine and I consider myself fortunate to at least have a dedicated space. I just realized the photo isn’t totally accurate as there is a 4ft wide shelving unit in the one corner now. Ah well, close enough.

4FFEB5F7-A99C-4137-9EFD-FDC2236662B2.jpeg

Welcome Don,
That's a great space ! All I have right now is a 4 ft wide desk in a room that I share with many other items that are not model or ship related. :)
The lighting you have is great ! That is a challenge for my space at this time, but I am right next to a window.

Welcome aboard !

Welcome and have fun with this new and exiciting hobby, just remember you can start a build log at any point of the build.

The build logs have two purposes, one to show what you have done, and also to ask for help or clarification on what should be done, or what are the drawings and instructions asking to be done that you may not understand.

The good folks here are always more than happy to watch and assist in any build questions you may have.

I have learned a lot about skill improvement and the what and why things were done in the good ole days of sailing by sail, from reading build logs.

Be sure to go thru the many different forums in the help and support area, there is lots of good "how to" posted.

Welcome Don,
That's a great space ! All I have right now is a 4 ft wide desk in a room that I share with many other items that are not model or ship related. :)
The lighting you have is great ! That is a challenge for my space at this time, but I am right next to a window.

Welcome aboard !
Thank you! I added in the 4ft bench lights and replaced the 2 ceiling panel lights with led panels. I need better armature lighting though for close work. Open to suggestions!

Welcome and have fun with this new and exiciting hobby, just remember you can start a build log at any point of the build.

The build logs have two purposes, one to show what you have done, and also to ask for help or clarification on what should be done, or what are the drawings and instructions asking to be done that you may not understand.

The good folks here are always more than happy to watch and assist in any build questions you may have.

I have learned a lot about skill improvement and the what and why things were done in the good ole days of sailing by sail, from reading build logs.

Be sure to go thru the many different forums in the help and support area, there is lots of good "how to" posted.
That’s one of the key reasons I joined…the technical expertise. I love the artistry of those who can build museum-quality pieces, especially scratch-builders! I don’t have anywhere near that talent…yet. But we all start somewhere and I sincerely appreciate welcoming communities like this one.

c120088c0c65f9be190eafc69d8820b7c60b7ae627423439216cf6f86d17d6c3_1.jpg

I am fully authorized to make this joke. My parents come from Lorain and Cleveland, Ohio. :D Welcome to the forum, former neighbor!

Back