greetings from south africa

hello i am unable to build models as i have the ' shakes' my late father built 5 in his lifetime - and this one i inherited greetings and thank you for welcoming me to the group
That's a fine looking model. Welcome to SOS. Enjoy your visits even if you find you are unable to build. There is so much great material here to keep you busy and interested.

thank you - the model is in a very bad state as it was in storage for 20 odd years - has accumulated dust and their are bits and pieces broken and loose - i will in time - have a glass casing - over it - but will not be able to restore her for the reason mentioned in my opening posting - i have had quotations to repair - but they are exorbitant so will leave as such

Last edited:
i have a few of these magazines - which i bought second hand via a local ship society - and they predate me by 21 years - i was born in 1957 - also in contact with several people around the world who build models to scale - and they happily share there models - the power of the internet which facilitates instant sharing - never seizes to amaze me regards - Bryan

ships and ships models.jpg

Hello Bryan.
Welcome from a fellow South African. At the moment I live and work in China, but am a born and bred South African! I was born in 1963 in Cape Town and have worked and lived there until the end od 2009 when I moved to Kempton Park. Where do you live?
I trust that you will find your stay here most enjoyable!
Kind regards - Heinrich

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hello Bryan.
Welcome from a fellow South African. At the moment I live and work in China, but am a born and bred South African! I was born in 1963 in Cape Town and have worked and lived there until the end od 2009 when I moved to Kempton Park. Where do you live?
I trust that you will find your stay here most enjoyable!
Kind regards - Heinrich

Last edited:
i have had this ships model in a bottle for well over 36 years - it was given to me by a lady in 1984 who said her husband had built it when he was a young man - im afraid the image is not clear and the wooden stand does not belong to the model - the ship in the tin plate image is of the principe perfeito - i found the tin tray on a rubbish dump many years ago

ship in a bottle.jpg

hello i am unable to build models as i have the ' shakes' my late father built 5 in his lifetime - and this one i inherited greetings and thank you for welcoming me to the group
Is that the Bounty? I have one as well that was out of its cabinet after I moved, cats did similar damage. I'm hoping to fix it once I have a case built. I live in Hillcrest, near Durban.

Back