Greetings from South Africa

I'm Hans. In a moment of madness I bought an Artesania San Francisco kit about 10 years ago. Finished the hull but then the model got parked in a cupboard for many years due to various circumstances. Restarted recently and am now doing, better said trying to, the rigging etc so as to complete this first build.

Goeie dag Hans en welkom. Ek is seker dat jy 'n baie nuttige inligting sal vind en te help op hierdie site.
And for those who do not understand Afrikaans here is the english....Good day Hans and welcome. I am sure that you will find a lot of useful information and help on this site.
We look forward to your upcoming build log.
Regards
Eric

Welcome. This is a nice kit and can be a real challenge for your first attempt. In the reference area you will find a list of books that are very valuable and provide many pictures of the complications you face in rigging. the most useful book that covers this and lots of other parts of the building process is Mondfeld's "Historic Ship Models". Looking forward to your building log.

Thanks for the welcome Eric and Gary. I am now treating this model as a test rig to solve problems as I go along, or as Eric would say "ek maak 'n plan".
I have looked at lots of models on this and other forums and the standards are so high it's amazing. I have also noted that Gary has a very thorough theoretical knowledge of matters nautical and with his mathematical calculations regarding rigging size etc I now think that I should have spent more time studying maths instead of playing snooker etc.

Hello Hans and thanks for your reply, please do not be dissuaded by the "high standard" of the models you see on this site. For many of the model builders here many of them have never built a wooden model (ship) before. Certainly use your model as a test bed and post pictures because members will give you advice NOT criticism. Please don't be embarrassed by mistakes made or yet to make, you will receive encouragement and advice AND by the time you do your second ship you will be as bad as the rest of us, haha.
Yes Gary has a vast knowledge and a great collection of books I reckon, the best book is Historic Ship Models - Wolfram zu Mondfeld, and Gary swears by it. It is the best reference book around.
Regards
Eric

Back