Greetings from Stafford Virginia

PGN

Hello,

I just joined the forum, Santa gave me the Model Shipway's Rattlesnake Kit # 2028. I consider myself new to plank on bulkhead ships, it has been 24 years since I completed my first and only ship the Prince de Neufchatel. I did the hull to the Enterprise but had to deploy so I threw it out. There was no place to store it and I considered it a learning experience. Last father's day my oldest daughter that is stationed in Spain ordered the Model Shipways USS Constitution, it hasn't arrived yet so I figured the Rattlesnake would be a good fresh start before I take on the Constitution.

Just the brief time that I have looked through this forum was enough to know that I needed this communities advise as I restart this hobby.

The pictures are of my build from 24 years ago. I used the barrels and multiple coils of rope to cover up my screw ups. I started the build while I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, it went on hold for about a year when I got married. Ended up getting stationed in Spain and while my wife's friends were visiting from the Czech Republic...I had time to finish the masts & rigging......because I don't speak Czech........

106683473_10223799342797205_8351574257516871633_n.jpg106693378_10223799343237216_7380854494860918165_n.jpg106704324_10223799342117188_3318315432173162543_n.jpg106720866_10223799345317268_1422575198574577949_n.jpg106982450_10223799345717278_571091054078855882_n.jpg107102405_10223799346837306_1284306763958023597_n.jpg107375718_10223799344797255_8315218995510284691_n.jpg107512199_10223799341597175_7529867698644539433_n.jpg

Welcome aboard SOS, Paul. We are glad you landed here! Since you already made a decision for your next project, it is best advisable to start a build log. This is the most convenient way to interact with the members, and get help in case you might need it.

We have the help section for the most common tasks you will use while browsing the forum. Please spend some time and get familiar. Those are short (a few min.) videos and will not take a lot of time.

Have fun and enjoy!

Welcome from your North Carolina neighbor. Enjoy the build and the forum. And if you daughter feels like sending out another USS Constitution I would gladly accept! ROTF

That's a fine build you have there. This community is great. I'm fairly new and so glad I stumbled upon it myself. Good luck with your Rattlesnake.

Hallo Paul,
Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

In 96 when I started the build of my 2nd ship.... it was on the floor of a squad bay at Bridgeport CA while I was attending the Mountain Leader's Course. I had to SWAG ( Serious Wild A__ Guess ) just about every aspect of the build.

This build is completely different. I have a wealth of information to go to because of this site. I thank all of you for this. I started the build on 26 December. I have made some mistakes....but I am sanding them out.

This ship is going a lot smoother than my first two...but..I am completely intimidated by the excellent builds here.

Trust me, I'm a retired Infantry Gunnery Sergeant..... it is hard to admit that I am not at the top of my game. ;)

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

In 96 when I started the build of my 2nd ship.... it was on the floor of a squad bay at Bridgeport CA while I was attending the Mountain Leader's Course. I had to SWAG ( Serious Wild A__ Guess ) just about every aspect of the build.

This build is completely different. I have a wealth of information to go to because of this site. I thank all of you for this. I started the build on 26 December. I have made some mistakes....but I am sanding them out.

This ship is going a lot smoother than my first two...but..I am completely intimidated by the excellent builds here.

Trust me, I'm a retired Infantry Gunnery Sergeant..... it is hard to admit that I am not at the top of my game. ;)
Hey Gunny, I know exactly what you mean by feeling a bit leery about posting our efforts. I’m doing my 1st build but the support of this group is amazing and worth every embarrassing screwup I’ve demonstrated. :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard Marine! Remember my 2 winter 'outings' to Bridgeport with fondness and memories of medium tents below (pre-squad bays) and 10-man tents and tent sheets above. I like the work you've shown and look forward to following your progress with your current build.

I had the pleasure of commanding the Marine Det on the USS Constitution during the last summer of her bicentennial in 1998. Our HQs was the actual Marine Detachment's building and billets at the Charleston Navy Yard; history all around.

All that I've been working on over the past few months is leading up to tackling a USS Constitution build - just haven't decided which one yet.

Semper Fi!

Welcome aboard Marine! Remember my 2 winter 'outings' to Bridgeport with fondness and memories of medium tents below (pre-squad bays) and 10-man tents and tent sheets above. I like the work you've shown and look forward to following your progress with your current build.

I had the pleasure of commanding the Marine Det on the USS Constitution during the last summer of her bicentennial in 1998. Our HQs was the actual Marine Detachment's building and billets at the Charleston Navy Yard; history all around.

All that I've been working on over the past few months is leading up to tackling a USS Constitution build - just haven't decided which one yet.

Semper Fi!
Bridgeport does have a certain..... uh... to it. I ended up doing 2 summer (1/6 & 2/1), 1 MLC, and 1 Winter (3/2). The winter one was designed to prepare us for Norway. The Norwegians are born wearing skis.....so that training really didn't help us too much, the helicopters did. I did like the tents with 1/6 in 84..... but those squad bays sure were nice the other times that I visited there.

Awesome that you were the CO of the Mar Det, I would have loved to have been in that detachment.

My SWO LT ordered the Model Shipways for me to tackle...... hopefully it will come in soon. The Rattlesnake is a good prep for her. This forum is a god send. I wish it was around back in the mid 90's when I started building my first two ships.

Semper Fi

Well.....with the times

My SWO Lt is coming here for PCS leave in mid March. So I have to step up the pace on the Rattlesnake.

I have to have the gun deck completed so that she can help build the cannons...as she did when she was 3 on my last ship.

She is coming off a DDG, but if she comes up with some SWO stuff to improve the Rattlesnake..... I'll pull Gunny on her and if that doesn't work..... I'll play the dad card.

Hello Paul, there is a plenty of possible research that can be put into the USS CONSTITUTION to get the most out of the kit. Have you any idea about in what age your are goint to show her?

After about 6 months into my 'new' hobby, me thinks I need to do a few more models before I attempt the Constitution.

I think my family will fall for this.....

Back