Greetings from Sweden.

Hello from Sweden!
I just found this forum! Looks like a nice place to hang around.
My name is Johan and I am from south/ central Sweden.
My main interests are merchant vessels since I work as an officer in the merchant navy and my great grandfather was a "deep-sea" sailor who also spent some time on the Great Lakes.
Modelling wise I have fiddled around with the usual plastic models and also done some papermodels.
My goal is to build some miniatures of the ships I sailed on, and also, if I could find plans or pictures, the Great Lakes schooner "Debbie Mae" and four mast barque "Altair" since my ancestor mentions these vessels in some notices I happen to have saved.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum

Especially the barque Altair would be a very interesting project, although I guess it will be problematic to get drawings

but also I found a four masted Altair

Especially the barque Altair would be a very interesting project, although I guess it will be problematic to get drawings

Hello! Great finds!
Interesting reading! "My" Altair is the second one, the fourmaster. This is actually the first time I get to read anything about her.
I have one postcard with a picture of her, but thats all I got. She was painted in a light colour ( grey, white?). Not much to construct a model from though...

I actually found a picture of her, taken 1908. Judging from this picture I would say that she is grey and the deck structures white.
Joining this group really got me staryef on fact-collecting
A link to the picture:

I found another Altair - in "THE GHOST SHIP"

a film from 1943 with Richard Dix as Captain Will Stone

but it seems, that this ship is a different one

But I was reading in a german paper, that "your" Altair made a record journey from Europe to San Franzisco in only 98 days - Average was 133 days.
So she was a cape Hoornier !

Maybe these four photos could be of interest, showing the wreck at the coast of Nigeria

Maybe ask the museum to get a scan....

I found another Altair - in "THE GHOST SHIP"

a film from 1943 with Richard Dix as Captain Will Stone

but it seems, that this ship is a different one

But I was reading in a german paper, that "your" Altair made a record journey from Europe to San Franzisco in only 98 days - Average was 133 days.
So she was a cape Hoornier !

Maybe these four photos could be of interest, showing the wreck at the coast of Nigeria

Maybe ask the museum to get a scan....
I also found this yesterday evening. I have sent an e-mail to the museum, and keep my fingers crosse
It is amazing that the hulk of here were still around in the 1990:s. How knows, maybee it is still there?
Thanks to joining this forum I now know a lot more about Altair than I actually hoped for!

I used to travel a lot on business to Gothenburg -- I really enjoyed visiting Sweden. Welcome to the forum.

Do you know anything at all about the Great Lakes ship Debbie Mae? Time frame? Steam or sail? Iron or wood? I did a lot of research on Great Lakes schooners for my model build over the last year. Drawings don't hardly exist unless done by someone later on, but there are good photo collections and historic groups on Facebook to talk to.

I used to travel a lot on business to Gothenburg -- I really enjoyed visiting Sweden. Welcome to the forum.

Do you know anything at all about the Great Lakes ship Debbie Mae? Time frame? Steam or sail? Iron or wood? I did a lot of research on Great Lakes schooners for my model build over the last year. Drawings don't hardly exist unless done by someone later on, but there are good photo collections and historic groups on Facebook to talk to.
I spent last winter studying Marine Surveying at Gothenburg University. A very nice town with a strong maritime flair!
For the Debbie Mae all I know about her is that she was a sailing vessel and that there was at least one more vessel that haf a name ending with "Mae". Time should be around the late 1800, maybe early 1900. I will look in my great grandfather's notebook and see if he wrote down the any date for his trips.

Hello from Sweden!
My main interests are merchant vessels since I work as an officer in the merchant navy and my great grandfather was a "deep-sea" sailor who also spent some time on the Great Lakes.
Modelling wise I have fiddled around with the usual plastic models and also done some papermodels.
My goal is to build some miniatures of the ships I sailed on, and also, if I could find plans or pictures, the Great Lakes schooner "Debbie Mae" and four mast barque "Altair" since my ancestor mentions these vessels in some notices I happen to have saved.
Hallo @Sjokapten
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello from Sweden!
Hello from a US Merchant Marine merchant marine officer who also sailed deep sea. Welcome to the friendliest shop model forum on the web!

Back