Greetings from the Hot South, South Mississippi.

Hello all, looking forward to choosing a project. I built a kit back in the early 80’s while in the service but have always wanted to build “true” plank on frame models. I have plenty of reading materials as I’ve acquired an almost complete set of Ships in Scale as well as a library of books on the subject. I bought two plan sets several years from Harold Hahn but I think his method of building is sound and will eventually build those ships. For now though I think I can learn more about scratch build plank on frame models by building a cross section Project. I would appreciate comments, advice on which plans to acquire and best source for purchasing them. Thanks in advance.

Hello all, looking forward to choosing a project. I built a kit back in the early 80’s while in the service but have always wanted to build “true” plank on frame models. I have plenty of reading materials as I’ve acquired an almost complete set of Ships in Scale as well as a library of books on the subject. I bought two plan sets several years from Harold Hahn but I think his method of building is sound and will eventually build those ships. For now though I think I can learn more about scratch build plank on frame models by building a cross section Project. I would appreciate comments, advice on which plans to acquire and best source for purchasing them. Thanks in advance.
Hallo @AlanT
first of all I want to send a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum
To build a section as a first POF scratch model is a very good idea and will bring you fast into the challenge of scratch building.
Especialy for modelers like you, we are running a group build in our forum, the building of a slightly simplified POF section model of the HMS Blandford, based also on the Anatomy of Ships series book.
The big advantage of such a group build is the fact, that you can see from other modelers how they executed the work and you can ask questions etc.
Please take a look here:

Another possibility would be a POF kit, here we have also several possibilities if you are looking for a section model. f.e the Bonhomme Richard or the HMS Granado.

Back