Greetings from Victoria BC

Nice to find this friendly forum on ship modelling. I have been building everything in just about every medium for about 55 years now. I am getting into wooden models of Clippers again and hopefully I can make some headway soon.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Hope to see your work on the clippers..... are you intent to build a kit (maybe the Sergal / Mantua kit of the Thermopylae) or scratch?

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Hope to see your work on the clippers..... are you intent to build a kit (maybe the Sergal / Mantua kit of the Thermopylae) or scratch

Thanks Uwek, I started a Scientific kit years ago, it was salvaged from a fire in a local hobby shop in 1980. I took it as far as the standing rigging, and put it aside. I inherited a bunch of plans, kits, modelling books etc. from my wife’s grandfather, who was a pilot here, as well as a ship modeller. I have most of the books on Thermopylae, by McGregor, Lubbock, Hume, Crosse etc. I have been trying to redraw the Scientific plans, to coincide more with the Hume models, and McGregor’s drawings. The deck layout in the Crosse book, comes closest to the Scientific kit, however I would like to represent her as she was, when first registered in Victoria BC, before being cut down to a barque and painted white. I now realize that to be satisfied, I will only be using the solid hull from the kit and scratching the rest. I think the lines of the hull are pretty good. The fittings in the kit are typical of cheaper 60’s - 70’s kits, I will have to scratch most, except for aftermarket blocks, deadeyes etc. I am giving it to my daughter and son-in-law, she’s from here, and he is from Melbourne, I could go on, but there’s a lot of synchronicity there. I think I have some photos of the kit before I dismantled it, I also have a second better condition kit, and so I should be able to try a build log, starting afresh. Later, I would like to do Thermopylae in 1/96, from scratch, I just need to source accurate drawings in that scale. When the temperature cools down here, I can start soon.

Thanks Uwek, I started a Scientific kit years ago, it was salvaged from a fire in a local hobby shop in 1980. I took it as far as the standing rigging, and put it aside. I inherited a bunch of plans, kits, modelling books etc. from my wife’s grandfather, who was a pilot here, as well as a ship modeller. I have most of the books on Thermopylae, by McGregor, Lubbock, Hume, Crosse etc. I have been trying to redraw the Scientific plans, to coincide more with the Hume models, and McGregor’s drawings. The deck layout in the Crosse book, comes closest to the Scientific kit, however I would like to represent her as she was, when first registered in Victoria BC, before being cut down to a barque and painted white. I now realize that to be satisfied, I will only be using the solid hull from the kit and scratching the rest. I think the lines of the hull are pretty good. The fittings in the kit are typical of cheaper 60’s - 70’s kits, I will have to scratch most, except for aftermarket blocks, deadeyes etc. I am giving it to my daughter and son-in-law, she’s from here, and he is from Melbourne, I could go on, but there’s a lot of synchronicity there. I think I have some photos of the kit before I dismantled it, I also have a second better condition kit, and so I should be able to try a build log, starting afresh. Later, I would like to do Thermopylae in 1/96, from scratch, I just need to source accurate drawings in that scale. When the temperature cools down here, I can start soon.
This sounds like a real plan - I am looking forward to hear about your further research and preparation, as well the building log in some time !!!

Nice to find this friendly forum on ship modelling. I have been building everything in just about every medium for about 55 years now. I am getting into wooden models of Clippers again and hopefully I can make some headway soon.
Hallo @Thermopylae
we wish you all the BEST and HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Howdy fellow Victorian. I'm new here too. Retired navy. Newish to wooden kits. Lifelong model builder.
I'm currently working on a AL Bluenose II

Welcome aboard the best forum around.

Good to have new neighbors from north of our boarder.

When you get a chance look around at all the good build logs and maybe search for posting on the ship you plan to build next.

Howdy fellow Victorian. I'm new here too. Retired navy. Newish to wooden kits. Lifelong model builder.
I'm currently working on a AL Bluenose II
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
We would like to see your work on the Bluenose II - maybe in a building log or briefly in this topic?

Back