• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Gunboat Philadelphia 1776 POF, Pseudo Admiralty Style... from Smithsonian Plans

hand hewed frames cut from 'compass' timbers,
Totally understood, and admirable on your part. Reminds of when we lived in the northeast and went a couple times in a nearby apple orchard after their annual pruning or culling of a few trees. I could go, with their blessing, and cut pieces where branches met larger branches or roots and such to make compass timbers for knees and futtocks. In the end, at our scales it was not worth the effort of cutting, then drying for months, but I had to try it once if only to say it can be done. :)
Allan
 
Last edited:
I have a couple pieces of sun-dried compass timber myself (unsure of the species). If the color is close enough to my 'fake' compass wood frames, I'll be using those pieces for the stem and stern posts. ;)
 
I wonder why the build log was discontinued? I am currently gathering materials and drawing up plans in a graphics program, and I would also like to take on the challenge of building a POF model. I really liked the way the author documented the construction of the gondola.
 
I wonder why the build log was discontinued? I am currently gathering materials and drawing up plans in a graphics program, and I would also like to take on the challenge of building a POF model. I really liked the way the author documented the construction of the gondola.
I just lost interest in the build and put it on the shelf for a later date. Once I finish a few other projects I'll likely go back to it, but for now, I'm simply not working on it.
 
I understand you even better than you might think. I once set aside a project for a Pomeranian drift-net cutter "for a moment," and I still haven't gone back to it to this day. That was about 10 years ago... So, I recommend getting back to the project as soon as possible—for your sake, for ours, and above all, for the good of the model itself ;)
I’m keeping my fingers crossed and hope you quickly rediscover your enthusiasm for the *Philadelphia* project.
 
Back
Top