H.M.B. ENDEAVOUR - 1/54 - OCCRE [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well I've put this off long enough, with a much needed break after my Royal Louis and now off work till the 6th January, it's now time for the next kit on my workbench.
After watching so many videos and trying to gather as much info as possible, This will be my first wooden kit in the shape of OCCRE'S ENDEAVOUR.
A ship that has an Enormous Historical story and a kit once finished, will look beautiful.

There is an Anticipation and nervousness about this for me, taking me slightly out of my comfort zone, but again pushing my capabilities. I have worked with wood before many times, but not on this level or scale.
Patience is key as always, checking and double checking, dry fitting etc... There will be challenges ahead, and the need to think outside the box, but most of all patience and enjoying the build and learning are foremost.

Happy modelling everyone
& #staysafe ⚓⚓
20211220_093321.jpg

OcCre kits are normally good to work with, and the company is great if something is broken or missing about replacing parts.
Definitely Kurt, they have already replaced my plastic Deadeyes and Blocks with wooden ones, as the kit I have was a slightly older one that when the company actually decided to use plastic fittings to replace wooden ones, this only last 1 year or so, due to customer demand for wooden fittings etc..

ENDEAVOUR 1/54

Early days in Construction
False keel built, Ribs in place, Lower deck Caulked, Planked and installed, brushed with Occre's Oak dye. Beams cut, brushed with Occre's Walnut dye and installed.

Next up Main Deck planking and Caulking.

Merry Christmas & All the best for 2022
#staysafe Everyone & Happy Modelling.
⚓⚓20211223_162055.jpg20211223_144510.jpg20211223_123900.jpg20211221_214410.jpg20211221_185507.jpg20211221_214324.jpg20211221_100637.jpg20211221_100537.jpg20211220_161301.jpg20211220_110916.jpg20211220_093321.jpg

Well I've put this off long enough, with a much needed break after my Royal Louis and now off work till the 6th January, it's now time for the next kit on my workbench.
After watching so many videos and trying to gather as much info as possible, This will be my first wooden kit in the shape of OCCRE'S ENDEAVOUR.
A ship that has an Enormous Historical story and a kit once finished, will look beautiful.

There is an Anticipation and nervousness about this for me, taking me slightly out of my comfort zone, but again pushing my capabilities. I have worked with wood before many times, but not on this level or scale.
Patience is key as always, checking and double checking, dry fitting etc... There will be challenges ahead, and the need to think outside the box, but most of all patience and enjoying the build and learning are foremost.

Happy modelling everyone
& #staysafe ⚓⚓
View attachment 277058
Hi Rob,
welcome to the OcCre Endeavour builders guild. I too embarked on the build of this beautful and historic ship, having never built a wooden ship before. So it was a daunting task to say the least and I ovecome the difficulties I encountered along the way thanks to the support I got from SOS. I have a build log on this site.
I had quite a few communications with OcCre along the way, as some items were missing and I made some boo boos and wrecked the rowing boat. The kit manufacturer sent me replacement parts for the boat and also the missing items without cost, quibble and in good time.
I found the kit and the materials to be of good quality. The instructions and drawings are good until one gets to the rigging. The instructions for the rigging could be more detailed and there are some errors, e.g. the number of holes for the crows feet and euthroes are insufficient. (Pic below). OcCre calls for 10 holes, but 18 are needed. Also, the euthroes are longer than given on the rigging plan. I spotted this mistake after I had glued the lower masts into the deck so remedial action will be difficult, so I may leave them as they are. Therefore, it is wise to plan ahead! The AOTS from Marquardt plays an excellent supporting role when building the ship, especially for the rigging.
OcCre supplied me with a PDF containing a 1:1 scale drawing of the finished ship looking on to the port side. If you are interested I can supply you with the file.
I threw out most of the rigging thread and opted for better quality rope from Krick using Radimir Beseda's Excel spreadsheet as a guide for the size of ropes required for the ship. I noticed after planking the decks that the lower deck did not need to be planked, as this deck is not visible after the upper decks are fitted.
Have fun with your build.
Trevor.

Crows feet AOTS.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Rob,
welcome to the OcCre Endeavour builders guild. I too embarked on the build of this beautful and historic ship, having never built a wooden ship before. So it was a daunting task to say the least and I ovecome the difficulties I encountered along the way thanks to the support I got from SOS. I have a build log on this site.
I had quite a few communications with OcCre along the way, as some items were missing and I made some boo boos and wrecked the rowing boat. The kit manufacturer sent me replacement parts for the boat and also the missing items without cost, quibble and in good time.
I found the kit and the materials to be of good quality. The instructions and drawings are good until one gets to the rigging. The instructions for the rigging could be more detailed and there are some errors, e.g. the number of holes for the crows feet and euthroes are insufficient. (Pic below). OcCre calls for 10 holes, but 18 are needed. Also, the euthroes are longer than given on the rigging plan. I spotted this mistake after I had glued the lower masts into the deck so remedial action will be difficult, so I may leave them as they are. Therefore, it is wise to plan ahead! The AOTS from Marquardt plays an excellent supporting role when building the ship, especially for the rigging.
OcCre supplied me with a PDF containing a 1:1 scale drawing of the finished ship looking on to the port side. If you are interested I can supply you with the file.
I threw out most of the rigging thread and opted for better quality rope from Krick using Radimir Beseda's Excel spreadsheet as a guide for the size of ropes required for the ship. I noticed after planking the decks that the lower deck did not need to be planked, as this deck is not visible after the upper decks are fitted.
Have fun with your build.
Trevor.

View attachment 277962
Hi Trevor

Thanks for that info, I had contacted Occre some weeks ago when I got the kit and they sent me out Wooden deadeyes and blocks to replace the plastic ones that came with the kit, as you say with no cost or quibble. Thank you for letting me know about some rigging problems in advance. Believe it or not rigging ships doesn't bother or daunt me at all, I actually love the rigging and reading the plans and of course the build to plan ahead before I start any stage. I thought about the rigging rope too, I will play this by ear, I usually use Caldercraft or Amati rigging thread, but I may give the Occre thread ago at the start, say the standing rigging and see what happens or how I feel, if it doesn't feel right straight away then I will substitute for either of the latter I mentioned.
Regards you noticing the lower deck didn't need planked, I noticed this before I started the build, but sometimes i am a stickler for detail, even if you cant see it when the build is finished, it would annoy me knowing it wasn't there lol...
It's ok regards the 1/1 scale drawing, i have the 2 x 1/1 scale scale drawing plans with the kit regards side and top views, thanks for the nice gesture though. I will take a look at you build log and again thank you for this.

All the best and Staysafe
Robert ⚓⚓

Hi Trevor

Thanks for that info, I had contacted Occre some weeks ago when I got the kit and they sent me out Wooden deadeyes and blocks to replace the plastic ones that came with the kit, as you say with no cost or quibble. Thank you for letting me know about some rigging problems in advance. Believe it or not rigging ships doesn't bother or daunt me at all, I actually love the rigging and reading the plans and of course the build to plan ahead before I start any stage. I thought about the rigging rope too, I will play this by ear, I usually use Caldercraft or Amati rigging thread, but I may give the Occre thread ago at the start, say the standing rigging and see what happens or how I feel, if it doesn't feel right straight away then I will substitute for either of the latter I mentioned.
Regards you noticing the lower deck didn't need planked, I noticed this before I started the build, but sometimes i am a stickler for detail, even if you cant see it when the build is finished, it would annoy me knowing it wasn't there lol...
It's ok regards the 1/1 scale drawing, i have the 2 x 1/1 scale scale drawing plans with the kit regards side and top views, thanks for the nice gesture though. I will take a look at you build log and again thank you for this.

All the best and Staysafe
Robert ⚓⚓
Hi Robert,

Below is the drawing I spoke of previously. It wasn't in my kit. I used the drawing to compare the position and dimensions of parts in the photos. Some of the positional dimensions of the deck components in the photos were incorrect.

Ship side view port.jpg

Trevor

Hi Rob :
I received this same OcCre kit for Christmas along with Ray Parkin's 2-volume hard cover treatise on HMB Endeavour so I am eager to see how it goes with you and I'll follow along after finishing the current build of my first ever boat kit.
Good luck with the build log ... it should be fun.

Rick

Last edited:
Hi Rob :
I received this same OcCre kit for Christmas along with Ray Parkin's 2-volume hard cover treatise on HMB Endeavour so I am eager to see how it goes with you and I'll follow along after finishing the current build of my first ever boat kit.
Good luck with the build log ... it should be fun.

Rick
Hi Rick,
Ray Parkin's excellent volumes on the Endeavour seem to be a good source of information. Do the books contain fold-out drawings of the ship?
I noticed when scouring the Internet for his work that the Endeavour's stern is shown to have 5 windows. As far as I am informed the middle window was not used and was blanked off. Also, the stern did not carry the name of the ship.

Trevor

The plans are contained in the second volume. Ray's work is inspirational. There are however 3 main points of contention. Endeavour had only 4 stern windows. As did all ships os similar design. This is confirmed by Bligh in his journal where he stated the area where the sham window is was stoved in by following seas. Karl Marquardt nor I could convince Ray that this was the case. Second is the bookings. Ray, Karl and I had discussions about them but Ray preferred the idea that they were handrails for the seats of ease. Third is the height of the mizzen mast. As a rule of thumb is that the top of the mizzen mast is level with the main top. This is achieved by stepping the mizzen in the lower deck. As detailed by Karl. This can be supported by numerous draughts of the time depicting this.
Ray's other work is equally impressive. His paintings of butterflies and insects are fantastic. His life is detailed in an autobiography and how he survived Changi is really worth reading
Allan.

Last edited:
Hi Rick,
Ray Parkin's excellent volumes on the Endeavour seem to be a good source of information. Do the books contain fold-out drawings of the ship?
I noticed when scouring the Internet for his work that the Endeavour's stern is shown to have 5 windows. As far as I am informed the middle window was not used and was blanked off. Also, the stern did not carry the name of the ship.

Trevor
Hi Trevor,

Uwe did a really good 2019 plan-set review of the two volume Parkin set. In the same thread i provided a link to a source for the plan-set from the National Museum of Australia that may be of help to you.

Thread 'HM BARK ENDEAVOUR - Her Place in Australian History" by Ray Parkin'
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...ace-in-australian-history-by-ray-parkin.3545/

Last edited:
Well I guess I will be stopping this build log as it seems some people think it's ok to come on and take over when they should have a build log of there own.
Sorry folks I am out if here.

Well I guess I will be stopping this build log as it seems some people think it's ok to come on and take over when they should have a build log of there own.
Sorry folks I am out if here.
Hello Rob, not sure who is taking over your log. All of the discussions here are about the model you are building.

Back