H.M.S. Bellona

Evening/Morning Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding scale measurements for a proposed scratch build I am planning on building. As the title suggests I am planning to build H.M.S. Bellona and have some plans and detail drawings, I found these on the internet so between the drawings I have and the anatomy of a ship book I should be able to get some nice drawings down. I am going to use Autodesk Fusion to resize and draw the model in 3d prior to cutting the timber. I may even attempt a laser build to fabricate my own parts so this will be a lengthy thread with some large gaps in between no doubt as I am preparing for the Invictus Games next year as well.

So here is the image below which I have scribbled on to show two measurements. The documentation says that the gun deck is 168ft/51m and the keel is 138ft/42m.

Sketch.png

So does anyone know where exactly these measurements were taken from? I will then work out if I do 1/32 or 1/48, I would prefer 1/32 as thats a much easier scale for me to work on with my meat hooks.

Thanks for the assist gents, I plan to document the entire process so we can all see how its done from wo to go. Thats off course if anyone is interested.

Thanks for looking in.
Steve

Well I have begun the process of obtaining the length and width of the Bellona with the anatomy of a ship details. The only issue I cant figure out is if I have correctly identified the entire gun deck properly. I assume I have identified it correctly and have moved on with the process of reworking and merging the corel drawings into proper scale drawings with the assistance of the anatomy of a ship details.

This is going to take a long long time. No rush, after all I have The Hayling Hoy to build and the Blandford section to complete :).

Screenshot 2019-03-21 10.47.38_LI (2).jpg

As you can see the gun deck length at 1/48 will be 1066mm.

InkedScreenshot 2019-03-21 10.47.38_LI.jpg

Here you can see an overlay with the Corel drawings with it scaled to 1/48. Have I identified the gun deck correctly. If I have this will be just shy of 2m, an impressive size no doubt but is it now too big as Brian mentioned in an earlier post.

Last edited:
I am planning on purchasing the Bellona from CAF models for my next project.

After seeing the quality of my current CAF model, I'm convinced they are the best in the business.

Hi Steve,

There is also a blog from the Caf Bellona at 1:48 from Peter.
As the caf kits are in sessions you can also decide only to purchase the frames.

Back