PROTOTYPE - H.M.S. Ontario Cross Section 2.0 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks everyone, as Dave said I am keeping this project as historically accurate as possible. There will be enough detail work to keep the build interesting.

This is the power tools I use on the inside. The Rockwell F 30 is my favorite for the rough work, the drum and pen sander take care of the small areas the Rockwell can’t reach. After the lining is installed, I use fine grit paper and hand sand the inside.IMG_2908.JPG

The Thick Stuff:

A small update. I added the first two pieces of thick stuff and the limber strakes.

The first photo shows gluing the two pieces of thick stuff in place. The inside edge of each piece was beveled at 30 degrees for the limber strakes to rest on and I used two pieces of thick stuff as spacers.

In the next photo the spacers are removed. The clamps are removed on the next photo.

The limber strakes are glued in place and trimmed to fit

The last photo is an end view of the limber strakes.IMG_2901.JPGIMG_2902.JPGIMG_2903.JPGIMG_2901.JPGIMG_2902.JPGIMG_2903.JPGIMG_2904.JPGIMG_2909.JPGIMG_2910.jpg

This is the power tools I use on the inside. The Rockwell F 30 is my favorite for the rough work, the drum and pen sander take care of the small areas the Rockwell can’t reach. After the lining is installed, I use fine grit paper and hand sand the inside.View attachment 125752
This rockwell f 30 lookes like a great "small" triangle sander. I will browse for it in the EU.

Hi Maarten,

The Rockwell F 30 is a universal tool, it comes with saw blades for metal, wood and masonry. It is very handy for DYI projects around the house if you are into that sort of thing lol.

Mike

Uwe: How easy is it to control the cut (depth, straight and level etc.) when using the blades in the tool?
to be honest - not easy!
Due to the fact of the 230V the toll by itself is relatively heavy....... so I am to anxious, that something happens, which I do not want -> I am still using for such things like cutting the gunports etc. handtools, which are much easier to control....

Mike,
just checking in the first time to see this. I have no words. Just awesome is all I can say. From drawing up plans and to bring all of this together is beyond my imagination. Who knows, by that time when I retire this year, I might have opportunity for a wider range of things to accomplish.

Last edited:
Thanks Donnie,
The nice part of drawing your own plans is as you build the model you can change the plans to match what you build. I do that a lot, what looks good on paper does not always work well in wood lol.

Back