PROTOTYPE - H.M.S. Ontario Cross Section 2.0 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Mike - that is A LOT of work - my gosh - a very nice project and something for us to look forward to when this is released from prototyping. This makes my Blandford look like I am playing around with popsicle sticks.

Otherwise too boring to be sailor Lol
Boats leaked! The well, where the pumps are located, is the lowest point on the ship. The idea was to get the water to the well so it could be pumped out. The frames could prevent water from flowing, trapping it between adjacent frames and leading to rot. The notches allow free passage of water despite the frames.

Last edited:
Mike as silly question on ship design, why let water in just to have to pump out again?
Hi Kurt,

Both Zoltan and DocBlake are correct, the sailors used it for fill-in work when they finished scrubbing the decks.

Ships are under a lot of stress especially in bad weather, sea water forced it’s way between the planking and oakum caulking and ran down to the keel through notches in the frames to the sump at the low point of the ship. Rain also added to the problem.

Limber gates are the notches at the bottom of the floor futtock (covered by the garboard strake) that allows water to flow towards the bilge pumps instead of accumulating between frames.

You can see it in the attached photo. It will be item 38.

Raymond 20200521_201226.jpg

OK, I understand the purpose now, to allow water to flow inside the hull between frames to the well house for pumping out.

For some reason I was thinking the opening were to exterior of hull, not interior of hull.

I see said the blind man to the deaf sailor. :eek:

Hi Kurt, the cross-section has been on the shelf for a while, but I have resumed work on the lower deck. The guns were made by Mike Shanks with his CNC machine and the parts fit together perfectly; due to arthritis I just rigged the guns with breaching ropes. The drawings include details to fully rig the guns. They are installed as shown in the following photos. The upper deck clamps are also installed.

IMG_3051.JPGGun 1.jpgGun 2.jpgUpper Deck Clamps 2.jpgUpper Deck Clamps.jpgIMG_3051.JPGGun 1.jpgGun 2.jpgUpper Deck Clamps.jpgUpper Deck Clamps 2.jpgDeck Clamps 3.jpgDeck Clamps 4.jpgImage_3245.jpg

Upper Deck Framing

The upper deck framing is a lighter structure than the lower deck, it does not have the weight of the cannons to support. The ten deck beams are shown in the first two photos. The second photo shows the beams being checked for length and fit. The next two pictures show the beams with the notches for the carlings installed I stopped there to make the deck support columns with my Proxxon lathe as shown in the next group of photos along with the currant sate of the framing.

IMG_3247.jpgIMG_3249.jpgIMG_3253.jpgIMG_3254.jpgIMG_3258.jpgIMG_3259.jpgIMG_3277.jpgIMG_3278.jpgIMG_3280.jpg

Back