PROTOTYPE - H.M.S. Ontario Cross Section 2.0 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Mike41

Staff member
Forum Moderator

The drawings for this project have been updated per the latest information from the shipwreck and the English shipbuilding standards of the time period.
Plans and sections note these drawings are preliminary to be used for the prototype and are subject to change during construction.

MikeExterior Profile_Page_1.pngInterior Profile 48_Page_1.pngHold Framing Plan 48_Page_1.pngLower Deck Plan 48_Page_1.pngUpperDeck-Upper Deck Plan 48_Page_1.pngFrame 17- 48_Page_1.pngFrame MS- 48_Page_1.pngFrame S- 48_Page_1.png

Hi Jim,
Thanks, I used a 10-inch band saw to cut out the parts, a vice and hand files to dress the joints, a belt sander on the exterior and a two-inch sanding drum in a drill press for the interior. The final shaping and sanding will be done when the frames are attached to the keel in the building jig. I will take more pictures of the frames as the build progresses.
Mike

The drawings for this project have been updated per the latest information from the shipwreck and the English shipbuilding standards of the time period.
Plans and sections note these drawings are preliminary to be used for the prototype and are subject to change during construction.

MikeView attachment 113764View attachment 113765View attachment 113766View attachment 113767View attachment 113768View attachment 113769View attachment 113770View attachment 113771
Good Day Mike
Where can I get copies of the drawings for my use
email Bikerbob@magma.ca
Thank you
Robert

Hi Robert,
The plans will be available through SOS and you will not be required to participate in the group build, but you are welcome to join when it starts. It should be a lot of fun.
Mike

Thanks Uwe,
I spent a lot of time designing the framing for this build, Zoltan will be using this design for the upper deck of his build and we will solve any design problems before I get to the upper deck with this build. I expect this will be an interesting build.
Mike

Hi Christian,

Back in April 2017 zoly99sack started a build of the HMS Ontario 1780. In September of 2017 he asked me if I would design a section to complement his build. His build is POB, so I had to design the framing based on the original drawing and drawings by John McKay from the book Legend of the Lake the 22-gun brig-sloop Ontario 1780 by Arthur Smith.

I used 21 double frames and simplified deck framing for the first section. After reviewing pictures divers took of the actual wreak site I decided to start over with this build.

Zoltan is doing an excellent job on his build and it is the focus of the Ontario projects. We thought the cross section might be an interesting subject for a group build.

That is why I didn’t draw the full hull, this will be my last cross section for a while, I will be working on a Spanish galleon for my next build. Thanks for your interest.

Mike

Hi Don,
Thanks, the Le Rochefort should keep you busy for a while and give you a little more experience with plank on frame construction.

This project will help you improve your skill level with different types of frames and deck structure. This build will take longer than the Blandford due to the fact it is twice as big lol.

I hope to finish this prototype before you finish the Rochefort.

Mike

The Frames Continuation:
This is a small update on the frames. The first photo shows a frame being assembled. I use a piece of plastic over the drawing to assemble the frame on, using tape to hold the parts in place with clamps at the glue joints. I attached the first frame to the keel to have a fixed point to work from as shown in the following photos.
Not a lot of progress but it is nice to see the frame going onto the keel.
IMG_2781.JPGIMG_2787.JPGIMG_2788.JPGIMG_2789.JPGIMG_2790.JPGIMG_2791.JPG

Back