H.M.S. Vanguard 1787 - Amati - 1:72 scale by ALucenti

Hi everyone.
I finished the second planking.
I quickly sanded with a very coarse grit paper.
I have to finish with increasingly thinner papers.
The walnut planking is harder than the linden planking so it took longer than expected but it's looking good.
When the sanding is finished I'll apply some dark wood filler where there are some imperfections and then some more sanding.

IMG_9299.jpeg

IMG_9304.jpeg

IMG_9302.jpeg

IMG_9310.jpeg

IMG_9303.jpeg

IMG_9296.jpeg

IMG_9305.jpeg

IMG_9311.jpeg

IMG_9298.jpeg

I chose to skim the strips above the water line a little and skim the ones below more.
In this part will then be applied copper so it will not be visible, instead above will be colored ocher and black and I will make sure that the boards are visible.

IMG_9309.jpeg

IMG_9306.jpeg

Beautiful planking - that walnut looks so good!

I chose to skim the strips above the water line a little and skim the ones below more.
In this part will then be applied copper so it will not be visible, instead above will be colored ocher and black and I will make sure that the boards are visible.

View attachment 289194

View attachment 289195
Truely a awesome job- the one thing I enjoy about walnut is the different shades of each plank. Makes the planking lines stand out. Great job Antonio

GrantTyler, thank you so much.
I still have to fill and smooth the hull with fine-grained paper, I think then the veins will stand out even more.
A real shame to completely cover them with color and copper.
Only the wood of the bridges will remain natural, which is Tanganyika walnut.
It's not bad but not as nice as Italian walnut.
I didn't understand why Amati-Victory used walnut if it wouldn't show then.

GrantTyler, thank you so much.
I still have to fill and smooth the hull with fine-grained paper, I think then the veins will stand out even more.
A real shame to completely cover them with color and copper.
Only the wood of the bridges will remain natural, which is Tanganyika walnut.
It's not bad but not as nice as Italian walnut.
I didn't understand why Amati-Victory used walnut if it wouldn't show then.
Good morning Antonio. True story. I was secretly happy that my kit did not come with the coppering. Gave me an excuse to leave the walnut. ROTF

Good morning to you,
I am also tempted to do it but I would like to be as faithful as possible to reality, that is, to how the ship was when it existed.
So I think I will apply copper.
On the one hand there is the beauty of the model and on the other hand there is the fidelity to history.
I prefer the latter (as far as possible).
For this reason i am very fascinated by modeling arsenal.
Maybe one day...

Hi Antonio, you have truly succeeded in creating a most beautiful hull. It was however some time ago since I saw any updates. It would be very interesting to see how things have come along.

Björn

Back