Hacker Craft

Like most boat builders I like to collect plans for models that I might build someday. I had plans to a Hacker design from the 1920’s. The boat was 28 ft long and he named her Irene. Old John L knew how to design a boat. In 2013 I decided to get the plans enlarged and get out my drafting board. I wanted to build it to 1/8th scale. I drew up the frames based on other kits I had built in the past.
I want to apologize for the quality of these first photos. I lost the originals to hurricane Ike.

I thought there might be some interest in how it was built.

IMG_1104.jpeg

IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

IMG_1111.jpeg

IMG_1110.jpeg

You are welcome! I have a love hate relationship with them.

I faired the framework to get ready for the first layer of planking. Back in 1982 I purchased some spruce strips and I used them to laminate a sheer for the boat. I knew I kept them for a reason.

The first layer is laid on the diagonal using 1/16 thick plywood that was cut into 5/8 widths.

IMG_1118.jpeg

IMG_1119.jpeg

IMG_1117.jpeg

IMG_1120.jpeg

IMG_1122.jpeg

In 1:8 the model will be not small - highly interesting to see your hull-structure

Actually 1/6th scale is my favorite. But a 56in long model would have been too large. One of the things I always add to my boats are crew members. It is easy to get 1/6th figures but 1/8th is a bit more difficult.
I found some Happy Days figures at Target which worked out perfectly.

Once I had the bottom planking done I put some large L brackets on my building board so I could rotate the model on its side.

IMG_1123.jpeg

IMG_1124.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg

IMG_1129.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1134.jpeg

IMG_1139.jpeg

Last edited:
When it was time to add the mahogany planking I wanted to do it correctly. I mean I wanted to lay out the planks like on the full size boat. I got in touch with a fine model builder by the name of John Campbell. He taught me how to take the measurements for the distance on each frame based on plank width. I know I am talking to folks who do this as common practice. It was a challenge to fit each plank to the pattern. I used an oscillating spindle sander to shape the planks. I lost fingernails and skin to that machine.

I wanted the mahogany planking to look right. No pointed planks. As it turned out all that work was not really necessary. Stay tuned to find out what happened.

IMG_1144.jpeg

IMG_1145.jpeg

IMG_1147.jpeg

IMG_1149.jpeg

IMG_1148.jpeg

IMG_1154.jpeg

IMG_1156.jpeg

By the time I got to the side planking I was moving a bit quicker. Turns out it took six planks to cover the sides which was the same number to cover each side of the bottom. I had to lap joint some of the planks to get enough curve.

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1159.jpeg

IMG_1160.jpeg

IMG_1161.jpeg

Back