Halcon 1/100 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Doing a fantastic job. I'm just starting the same build (first ever). Thanks for all the tips. Keep it up, cannot wait until the finished product. And more tips.
Thank you for the nice words glad you're liking this log.
If it's the same kit from the same source be prepared for some breakages. The roughness of the finish on these parts does not show until you start to get close in with a camera so in hindsight, I needed a bit more care and more fine sanding but it's at that stage found the material doesn't stand up too much handling. But get stuck in and enjoy. I thought being retired id be able to knock this up in a few months but now 8 months plus down (the wife still keeps finding other things that need attention) the line but it's a good learning curve. Look forward to seeing how you get on there is plenty of help available in the forums if you get stuck.

After fitting the main mast Gaff and Spanker booms. Added a bit more of the standing rigging and stays. used a bit of poetic licence to the fixing point of the mainstay to the anchor cat heads I tried fixing to the bowsprit samson posts, but the rope was too close (touching) to the mainmast so although not correct its more pleasing to the eye.
batch_DSCF8809.JPGbatch_DSCF8807.JPGbatch_DSCF8808.JPG

Hi Resoian,
You have done a really great job on this kit.
Your ships colour scheme is excellent.
Keep up the good work.
I am building the same kit and having my fare share of problems with this kit too.

Martin555.

Hi Martin
Thank you for your comments.
You get what you pay for, this was a cheap Chinese kit. I found the laser cutting was good on a poor-quality plywood that splits easily and terrible instructions but having said that the poor instructions led me to doing a lot of internet surfing including finding this forum which has lots of great advice to work out some of the problems. It is a great learning piece that's bringing back some life to these old hands. Good luck with yours have you uploaded your build log on here yet?

Hi Martin
Thank you for your comments.
You get what you pay for, this was a cheap Chinese kit. I found the laser cutting was good on a poor-quality plywood that splits easily and terrible instructions but having said that the poor instructions led me to doing a lot of internet surfing including finding this forum which has lots of great advice to work out some of the problems. It is a great learning piece that's bringing back some life to these old hands. Good luck with yours have you uploaded your build log on here yet?
Hi Resin.
Glad your hands are getting back to model making, you have not lost any of your skills.
I absolutely agree that you get what you pay for.
I only wanted to make this one just to see if I could make something reasonable out of a really bad cheap kit.
It has been challenging but in a strange way I am enjoying it.
Here is a link to my build log just incase you could do with a laugh LOL!!

Martin555.

The End
Have decided this is as far as I want to go with this journey building the Halco.
Yes there is plenty of details that could be added but happy with the results to date.
It has served its purpose taught me a few things and confirmed that I'm liking this hobby.
Next project will either another cheapish kit 1/200 HMS Victory mid-section or a modified plastic Titanic.
Thanks to al those that gave encouragement along the way .

batch_DSCF8810.JPGbatch_DSCF8811.JPGbatch_DSCF8812.JPGbatch_DSCF8813.JPGbatch_DSCF8814.JPGbatch_DSCF8815.JPGbatch_DSCF8816.JPG

batch_DSCF8817.JPGbatch_DSCF8817.JPG

Hi Resoian.
I think you have worked wonders on this kit.
Very nice work.
I know what a struggle this kit is to make.
I just hope mine will be as good as yours.
Already looking forward to seeing your next project.

Last edited:
Also from my side Congratulations for finishing the Halcon
You made a very good model - the best possible with this kit

thank you. I made a Halcon ship sail mold because I make this ship model often and sell it in my country. I have already built about 20 Halcon boats. Fiberglass sails are worth making if you intend to create many models of the same ship. Such sails are easy to clean and retain their shape for many years. I have now started making the Brigantina Phoenix boats and will be putting fiberglass sails on them as well.

20220928_120508.jpg

Several Brigantina Phoenix build logs are already created here. I can say that this kit is a really high-quality match. Very precisely made, and the price is about 100 euros (dollars) if you live in a non-EU country.

Hi Algirdas.,
I still think it would be good to post a build log as you may do things differently and it could also help others wishing to make this model.

Back