Halcon 1:100 Rookie way [COMPLETED BUILD]

Fellow SOS members,
A "Beginner" here. Im Daniel Rubio, from Chile. Im an architect, so i have some experience in small models. Love boating, old ships and history.
ive taken pics of my build.

This is a Halcon 1840 1:100 kit, with the upgraded canons.
My intention is not to make it historic accurate, but making a beautiful objet, and learn the tecniques of ship model making.

Some comments about the kit.... It Sucks! xD but its a good start. I dont mind doing some parts by my own, or getting materials.
Watching pictures of other builds is very helpful because the instructions manual is a real joke.
You can see at this pictures a "sideproject", wich is a Bluenose II by ArtesaníaLatina. A present from my father.

Ive took a lot of pictures, so ill keep doing updates. on the project.
Next. The hull.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-23 at 10.52.18.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-05-03 at 13.44.27.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-05-03 at 14.02.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-03 at 14.02.06 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-05-03 at 14.02.06 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-05-03 at 14.07.07.jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-03 at 13.44.27 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-03 at 13.44.27 (1).jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 68
It will be good to get regular some updates of your working progress .....

Update n°2 ( a few days delay )
Greetings from southpacific!
Im still exploring this world, wondering how much detail i should put on this few cms long ship. I feel that i can spend a lifetime puting attention to the smallest detalis.
Figuring out some parts after making little experiments

About items and tools im using here;
- Cuter, ruler and scalding
- CA Medium Glue
- PVA Glue
- Mini Electric and Hand Drill
- Sanding Paper
- Wood Sherwin Williams Putty
- Acrylic Paint
-Enamel Paint.
- Transparent and tinted varnish
- Autocad & Pictures of models and real ships, to make some measurements.

IMG_20210427_231504.jpgIMG_20210429_231153.jpg

Trying to make this piece look good. Non of these two is going to make it....
IMG_20210502_214033.jpg
But these 4 do
IMG_20210503_005025.jpg

First attemps with rigging.
IMG_20210504_004110.jpg

IMG_20210502_214050.jpgIMG_20210504_230515.jpg

Now the deck is getting some life and color.

IMG_20210505_002335.jpgIMG_20210505_002325.jpg

And to finsih this update post, a wide view of Halcon.
Thinking about renameit. Read somewhere this was a "Baltimore Clipper" class ship.
Im getting closer.

What about paint the masts. Black? White? Half wood, half color?
its clear im not a pro, but im really happy about the way this build is taking.

IMG_20210505_004657.jpg

Hope you guys like it. Love to read your commets.

I would recommend on the deadeyes, if you are going to make them yourself, then cut them from a dowel so they are round.
On the masts, I would use a light stain or clear coat them.
Thanks!
And yes, looking for better solutions on the deadeyes. Yours a good idea!

Hey, Rubio. Nice build and doing a pretty good job assembling the kit. For the anchors, this period of time, they use the rope (cable work). It is a thick rope. One more observation, forgive me if I go ahead with your plans, how about the transom? Did the kit come with a transom assembly?

Hey, Rubio. Nice build and doing a pretty good job assembling the kit. For the anchors, this period of time, they use the rope (cable work). It is a thick rope. One more observation, forgive me if I go ahead with your plans, how about the transom? Did the kit come with a transom assembly?
HI! Thank you for your comments and info.
About the transom, I left it behind. The kit doesn't include this part. It must be handmade. Since the hull is not 100% done, I've got it in my "to do" checklist.
Tonight's task!
16203546755932815652303578118038.jpg

Last edited:
Great effort, it's looking good. I built one of these recently that has been in my stash for some time, wishing now I had got the later release with brass cannons and other accessories. Have to agree, the plans are useless, the wood cont take much abuse but the laser cutting is good.IMG_20210201_094735.jpg

Great effort, it's looking good. I built one of these recently that has been in my stash for some time, wishing now I had got the later release with brass cannons and other accessories. Have to agree, the plans are useless, the wood cont take much abuse but the laser cutting is good.View attachment 232058
Excellent work for a first ship in wood. You had to fight against low quality materials and a host of other difficulties, but you pulled it off. Congratulations!

HI! Thank you for your comments and info.
About the transom, I left it behind. The kit doesn't include this part. It must be handmade. Since the hull is not 100% done, I've got it in my "to do" checklist.
Tonight's task!
View attachment 231744
You're doing well considering the wood in this kit is substandard. Remember that your next ship will be many times better.

And to finish this update post, a wide view of Halcon. Thinking about rename it. Read somewhere this was a "Baltimore Clipper" class ship.
I'm getting closer.

What about paint the masts. Black? White? Half wood, half color?
its clear I'm not a pro, but I'm really happy about the way this build is taking.

View attachment 231486

Hope you guys like it. Love to read your comments.

You can try this color scheme from a modern replica of a Baltimore clipper, the Pride of Baltimore II. The mastheads (top sections of the masts, above the crosstrees) appear to be black, and the rest of the masts and yards appear to be natural wood protected by pine tar or varnish. One of the fellows I went to Kings Point, US Merchant Marine Academy, was on the Pride of Baltimore (the first one) when it got capsized and sank by a straight line squall that blew the ship right onto its side. He and the few survivor spent several days in a life raft that the Chief Mate was able to free from the ship before it went under. Nice to know they built another one. America's Navy was founded with clipper ships such as this and barks, before the country grew wealthy enough to build a few frigates.

1620511218835.png

WOW - this is exceptional for a beginner - very good workmanship.
Thank you for this kind comment.
It's been a big effort and fun hours working on this project. Learning a lot.
You can try this color scheme from a modern replica of a Baltimore clipper, the Pride of Baltimore II. The mastheads (top sections of the masts, above the crosstrees) appear to be black, and the rest of the masts and yards appear to be natural wood protected by pine tar or varnish. One of the fellows I went to Kings Point, US Merchant Marine Academy, was on the Pride of Baltimore (the first one) when it got capsized and sank by a straight line squall that blew the ship right onto its side. He and the few survivor spent several days in a life raft that the Chief Mate was able to free from the ship before it went under. Nice to know they built another one. America's Navy was founded with clipper ships such as this and barks, before the country grew wealthy enough to build a few frigates.

View attachment 232060
Thank you for all that info man. Really appreciate. That kind of histories and tips are very useful, and gives the model a bit more "substance".(that picture is in my reference library )

I'm looking forward to finish this and start a little bigger project. I'm going for a Bluenose II by Artesanía Latina, so this Baltimore clipper is kind of an introductory project for improve my skills.

Update n*3

Started some working at rigging. What a challenge is this. By far the most new and difficult task for me right now.
It starts looking a bit more complete.
IMG_20210508_230102.jpg
IMG_20210509_002550.jpg

I also found this crew figures. They are 1:76. Luftwaffe Airmen. I can modify them to make them look more nautical. They are 2mts tall in a 1:100 scale. Of course a little big, but I think they almost fit nicely...I still haven't decided. Do you like to include crew on your models?
As an architect, I think they are a must in any scale model.
IMG_20210508_235319.jpg
IMG_20210508_120254.jpg

Thank you all for your comments and compliments.

I've just started one of these kits, a basic one. It's so basic I'm quite disappointed in it. The parts are all cut reasonably well but some have no identification marks on them. Some parts I think should be there aren't and as for the instructions. Two badly photocopied sheets with such poor instructions that I will struggle to complete it. There are pictures of the sails to cut out but no details of rigging lines. I've taken to the internet to find pictures of a similar model to copy. This is by far the best be come across. Plenty of discussions and great pictures. I wrote to the seller asking for better instrucions. They did apologise saying this was all they had and sent me two better quality photographs of the instructions.
Thanks all for the pictures and details above, they will all come in very handy.
Big D

I've just started one of these kits, a basic one. It's so basic I'm quite disappointed in it. The parts are all cut reasonably well but some have no identification marks on them. Some parts I think should be there aren't and as for the instructions. Two badly photocopied sheets with such poor instructions that I will struggle to complete it. There are pictures of the sails to cut out but no details of rigging lines. I've taken to the internet to find pictures of a similar model to copy. This is by far the best be come across. Plenty of discussions and great pictures. I wrote to the seller asking for better instrucions. They did apologise saying this was all they had and sent me two better quality photographs of the instructions.
Thanks all for the pictures and details above, they will all come in very handy.
Big D
I missed a lot the instructions manual too, but theres a lot of pics ,blueprints, plans in the internet. I found a lot in;
-Facebook.
-Aliexpress ( producti reviews, and pictures of the finished product)
- Reference on biggest models of the same ship.

So far, these two are my best references.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/0d/3b/a50d3b6e12186bea9453fb7c5da3e487.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/86/b3/30/86b3302f82a6a9c95398347b0529baed.jpg

Got to feel between the "kit build" and the "scracth build" and we will figure it out.
I think a big diference is the modellers target. Is it has to be historic perfect? Got to look nicely done?

Last night I went for the canons on deck, little weathering and a couple of details. Familiarizing myself whit how ropes work

I would thank if somebody tell me how anchors go on this... They use a line, rope or chain??
View attachment 231696View attachment 231698View attachment 231697
Looking good! One thing, though—are your gun carriages wider in the front than in the back? I did mine that way and was informed it was supposed to be the other way. It was too late by then; I was already committed.

I missed a lot the instructions manual too, but theres a lot of pics ,blueprints, plans in the internet. I found a lot in;
-Facebook.
-Aliexpress ( producti reviews, and pictures of the finished product)
- Reference on biggest models of the same ship.

So far, these two are my best references.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/0d/3b/a50d3b6e12186bea9453fb7c5da3e487.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/86/b3/30/86b3302f82a6a9c95398347b0529baed.jpg

Got to feel between the "kit build" and the "scracth build" and we will figure it out.
I think a big diference is the modellers target. Is it has to be historic perfect? Got to look nicely done?
Thanks for the links, especially the rigging. Hopefully I'll be able to make something that looks ok. With it being my first build and a basic kit I wasn't planning on it being an exact replica just something that looks ok. Maybe give me an appetite for something a bit more advanced next time.

Update n*3

Started some working at rigging. What a challenge is this. By far the most new and difficult task for me right now.
It starts looking a bit more complete.
View attachment 232418
View attachment 232420

I also found this crew figures. They are 1:76. Luftwaffe Airmen. I can modify them to make them look more nautical. They are 2mts tall in a 1:100 scale. Of course a little big, but I think they almost fit nicely...I still haven't decided. Do you like to include crew on your models?
As an architect, I think they are a must in any scale model.
View attachment 232421
View attachment 232422

Thank you all for your comments and compliments.
Brilliant work, it looks amazing. I'm very new to building model ships and I chose the HALCON 1840 1/100 scale ship, but the instructions are useless they barely tell u how to put the hull and deck together, they don't tell u how to build the masts or sail's or how to set the rigging. I'm just about to attach the long 3mm piece that runs along the side of the boat where the canon's stick out and I was wondering if u have any suggestions on how to bend the piece of wood without breaking it as I need to get them on so I can start planking the hull

Back