Halcon 1:100 Rookie way [COMPLETED BUILD]

If you have the plans and they are usually 1:1 ratio (real-life to the model) then you can take the measurements off the plans either using a ruler or calipers.

Very good work, I'm building the same boat as u but as I look at different pictures I've noticed my prow where the bowsprit goes onto it is very high compared to a lot, I'm wondering would it be a good idea to cut it down to look a bit better. I've just glued the bulwarks onto the sides and have to leave to dry overnight, I was just wondering did u have to soak the planks in water when u were planking the hull or did they bend easy enough for u? I'll send a picture tomorrow cos u can't see much with all the clamps in the way, but the planking is my next job.
I also have to figure out how to do the rigging and setting up the masts and it great to be able to look at ur's and other people's work so I have some sort of reference to go by, keep up the great work
These pictures and comments are just fantastic, I bought the chinese Halcon kit too and was underwhelmed by the instructions, or lack thereof, so this forum is an excellent reference tool, thank you so much.

Fellow SOS members,
A "Beginner" here. Im Daniel Rubio, from Chile. Im an architect, so i have some experience in small models. Love boating, old ships and history.
ive taken pics of my build.

This is a Halcon 1840 1:100 kit, with the upgraded canons.
My intention is not to make it historic accurate, but making a beautiful objet, and learn the tecniques of ship model making.

Some comments about the kit.... It Sucks! xD but its a good start. I dont mind doing some parts by my own, or getting materials.
Watching pictures of other builds is very helpful because the instructions manual is a real joke.
You can see at this pictures a "sideproject", wich is a Bluenose II by ArtesaníaLatina. A present from my father.

Ive took a lot of pictures, so ill keep doing updates. on the project.
Next. The hull.
Hallo @Capt Rubio
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello, a beautiful model that I came across only today. But I have a question: what is this gun in the middle of the deck? I mean, it aims directly at the foremast, and even if you move it a bit to the side, presumably the ship's side and parts of the rigging go to shreds. It's a gun carriage on wheels, so it's not a mortar like on a gunboat. You can find this gun in this kit, but also in others, for example the cardboard kit from Oriel. I don't understand this, does anyone have a reasonable explanation for this?

Hello, a beautiful model that I came across only today. But I have a question: what is this gun in the middle of the deck? I mean, it aims directly at the foremast, and even if you move it a bit to the side, presumably the ship's side and parts of the rigging go to shreds. It's a gun carriage on wheels, so it's not a mortar like on a gunboat. You can find this gun in this kit, but also in others, for example the cardboard kit from Oriel. I don't understand this, does anyone have a reasonable explanation for this?
There appear to be only five guns and 10 gun ports. I assume the guns could switch to either side. Unless engaged in a large sea battle doing break-through maneuvers, the ship would probably only fire from one side. Using five guns in the five gun ports on one side would be efficient and cause less weight. I'm just guessing here, based on the number of guns versus the number of gun ports. Tschau!

My question was about the one large gun in the middle of the ship. It's normally rigged there like the other guns, but I think it's completely pointless where it is.

My question was about the one large gun in the middle of the ship. It's normally rigged there like the other guns, but I think it's completely pointless where i
Noch einmal: es gibt nur 5 Kanonen und 10 Kanonenöffnungen. Man kann sie entweder nach links oder nach rechts stellen. Im Bild sind 2 links und 2 rechts. Es würde nicht symmetrisch sein mit 3 auf einer Seite und 2 auf der anderen. Hoffentlich ist mein Deutsch nicht so schlecht, dass du es nicht verstehen kannst. Entschuldigung.

Your German is excellent, my friend. Thumbsup Probably my English translated from DeepL is much worse. I think we are talking past each other. I mean the cannon that is standing in the middle of the deck in this picture, between two hatches, aiming at the foremast. I don't understand the meaning of this cannon.

I think they put it in the middle to keep the ship symmetrical. The middle gun could go either left or right. But then it would not look symmetrical. Also, the weight is more evenly distributed with two cannons on each side and one in the middle. This is probably how the ship sailed. When placing all 5 guns on either side, I assume they would have to move ballast below to offset the weight of all the cannons being on one side. I remember when flying in the B-52 bomber, we sometimes had to shift fuel to one wing or the other, depending on the circumstances, to make sure the weight was evenly distributed. I would think that this would apply to ships as well.

Last edited:
Hi Bonden.
I dont understand the inconvinience. This gun apears at every plan or blueprint of this Halcon ship, and also the Albatros, as reference.

I think they put it in the middle to keep the ship symmetrical. The middle gun could go either left or right. But then it would not look symmetrical. Also, the weight is more evenly distributed with two cannons on each side and one in the middle. This is probably how the ship sailed. When placing all 5 guns on either side, I assume they would have to move ballast below to offset the weight of all the cannons being on one side. I remember when flying in the B-52 bomber, we sometimes had to shift fuel to one wing or the other, depending on the circumstances, to make sure the weight was evenly distributed. I would think that this would apply to ships as well.

We may discuss if its a good idea, the best way to use it, etc. Of course we can tell the model its not perfectly executed
For me its obvius its not aiming the formast, or to be specific, it would not be fired at that position. I think its like a "spare" or aditional free use gun.
So... thats why its there in my model and not got removed.

Have a nice day and thanks for passing by!

1621566654493.png

Back