Halcon Kit 1:100 - some comments and experiences

DSC02193.JPGDSC02194.JPGDSC02195.JPGDSC02196.JPGDSC02197.JPGHello to all newcomers,

Please let me add some comments and my personal - not so important - experiences with the "Halcon sailing ship 1:100" from China.

The kit:
This "Halcon" is my project number zero - just to try and collect experiences. For this it works well I think.
I got my kit via Amazon (GE). This kit I got is the very simple one. It includes the laser cutted parts and a collection of wooden strips. No sails, no lifeboat, the guns are "flat". One sheet of paper with the "manual". I think this kit is a copy of a copy of an other product.

Informations:
I asked the vendor about more information (color scheme ...), the only "information" I got - "... please have a look at the web/ YouTube." O.K., for this price I paid.
Helpfully was the - sometimes mentioned - homepage "shipmodell.com". I printed out the "original" I guess, "Galeta de velacho". I did a small calculation: the length of my model in relation of the length of the plan - a "correction scale" for other parts.

Colouring:
My first inspiration was an actual photo from a Baltimore schooner: white and black. Regarding the color of the lower hull I was reading (in a book from the "German guru" Mr. zu Mondfeld) that in the 19.th century at first the lower part of the hull could be grey, later they startet to use copper plates. I guess the copper was at first "coppery" but after a certain time - green (patina). I decided to make it in a light grey.

Scaling:
The model is in a scale 1:100. So it is not very easy to create own parts. At example the "dead eyes" (In German: "Jungfern" - virgins..). I guess the maximum original diameter could be not more than 200mm. With scale - 2mm. And make three holes - not so easy ... I will try it again, and then I will think about buying some ready parts I'm afraid.

Own added parts:
In the mentioned plan is a figurehead under the bowsprit - a "halcon" - a falcon. So I added a wooden part - from a very long distance it could be a bird. Just to do: a lifeboat (what was not included in my kit). I did one from a piece of balsa wood with a tarpaulin (???) but I don't like it - will try it again.

Tools:
Of course I sought advice from a local dealer (the last and only one I found here in my home town). Some tools are working well. What did work only in certain cases: the "plank bender". It is a mechanical one what works with pressure - works only with soft wood. Later I ordered a soldering iron with special head.
Surprisingly I found good (and not so expensive) "sanding tools" in drugstores - department "manicure". Good quality and good standing time/ washable.

"Dead end road":
Many of you might know the experience: first planking attempt is the hardest. After first reading some books regarding ship model building I way trying at very first to plank the hull, use a "mordant" (??? - I hope that Google interpreter is right) and only add a transparent coating. Of course I failed. After sanding a lot I decided to add a second planking. Now I know why in some build logs I can see pictures from hulls coated with wooden kit/ filler.
I think the issue is the length and thickness of the wooden strips in the kits. The modelist is trying to use one strip from bow to stern. So you have to bend, to twist the strip and to reduce the width. But having a look at the reality: I can't imagine that in the past they used one plank from bow to stern.The width of a strip can be 3mm - so in "original" it would be 30cm. I can't imagine that in the past it was possible to have and to handle such wooden planks - 25m length, 10cm thickness and 20 ... 30cm width. So it would be allowed to use shorter and narrower wooden strips (if availabe).

What next?
I will try to make the shrouds better, including the "dead eyes". Now I used some "hooks" only.
The following "project 1" is a Corel "Sloup" in scale 1:25 in the shipyard. It is a French fishing boat. The scale 1:25 has other challenges (detailing). Does somebody have got experiences with this kit? Could it not find here in the forum.

Looking forward to your opinion - VBR Otto

DSC02193.JPG
DSC02194.JPG
DSC02195.JPG
DSC02196.JPG
DSC02197.JPG

Hi Otto,
At my local club we are working on these as a group build. For your first time, I think you did a fantastic job of construction ! I would say your observations are correct. Here are some additional notes for you.

You are correct about the length and width of the planking. However if you are painting the hull it doesn't make that much difference. I am planning on painting mine as well. Some water and the soldering iron and you can bend the planks to fit.

With your notes about the scaling you mention trouble with making the deadeyes. I assume you had the same problem with the other blocks as well. There is a company out there (HiS Models) in the Czech Republic that offers a block kit you can buy and on their web site and they have a rigging diagram on the page where you would purchase the block kit. They are not real expensive, but it was more than I paid for the kit. :) Another help due to their lack of instructions is that the ship is a model of a Baltimore Clipper, so you can get pictures and construction diagrams as well as books to help as reference.

Yes, there are a handful of build logs in the forums if you do a search for "Halcon"

Jeff

Hello,
Thank you for your reply and the tipp regarding the Czech supplier. What is your experience, does is look good, realistic?
I think the „Halcon“ kit (Amazon GE is offering the kit as „good for beginners“) is often used for starting (again) the hobby. When you are not giving it up, you will stay …
Otto

I have just started mine. I only have the false keel, bulkheads and deck glued together. But obviously have been doing a fair amount of research. I don’t necessarily agree it is for beginners though. It should have much better instructions to help. New builder And a larger kit would be easier to work with. But that would make it more costly.

Hello,
Thank you for your reply and the tipp regarding the Czech supplier. What is your experience, does is look good, realistic?
I think the „Halcon“ kit (Amazon GE is offering the kit as „good for beginners“) is often used for starting (again) the hobby. When you are not giving it up, you will stay …
Otto
Otto,

I have received the blocks from HiS Models and they are actually pretty impressive in quality. I was also surprised at how quickly they arrived here in the US.
They even provided a few needle threaders. :)
Here is a pic of the smaller of the 2 sizes of deadeyes. They are 2.5 mm each.
deadeyes.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Well done. You've made a nice job from poor plans.

You said it was tricky to bend the planking. What I did was to wrap three or four planks in kitchen towel then soak the towel in boiled water. Put them in a plastic bag and seal it for 5 minutes. Take the planks out one at a time and quickly dry off. You should find the planking much easier to manipulate. Even forming a curve in a plank isn't too difficult. Don't take out too many at a time as they'll stiffen again, simply repeat the hot water process.
I'm no expert modeller it's just what I found worked for me.
Good luck with your future builds

D

There are many ways to successfully bend a plank. I just soak it in plain tap water for a few minutes then while wet use a soldering iron (while plugged in) to shape it. The wood will dry out quickly so keep it wet by dipping it back in the water momentarily as needed to keep wet.

Jeff

Back